We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best coastal base/itinerary advice

fjc
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Best coastal base/itinerary advice

Heading to Puglia in June for 10 nights and can’t decide on an itinerary. Have read lots of the tips on here and they are really useful. My initial thoughts were 3 nights in Polignano, 2 nights in Matera, 1 night in Ostuni, 2nights Otranto or Galipolli and 2 nights Lecce. We’re hiring a car so plan to visit Alberobello and Martina Franca. Polignano sounds like it is right up my street but my other half likes to lie on the beach so am beginning to question that choice. Sounds like the beach is tiny and likely to be crowded. Don’t really want to be driving to find a nice beach as want to be able to relax. Should I rethink my itinerary? Anything else we should be seeing? Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Wales
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best coastal base/itinerary advice

We spent a week based in Polignano last June. From here it is an easy drive to Alberobello, Martina Franca, Ostuni, Locorotondo, Cisternino to name a few. The " beaches" in Polignano are small and in most cases pebble or rocks. We used to keep our beach stuff in the car and after a morning sightseeing just drive to the coast between Monopoli and Torre Canne for an afternoon on the beach. Some of the beaches are managed lidos where you can pay for sun beds and umbrellas. The beaches are very quiet during the week in June. The first week of June is also the festival of St Vito in Polignano and there is quite a lot going on in the town. I have also stayed in The lively seaside town of Otranto from where you can easily visit both Lecce and Gallipoli. If you are flying in and out of Bari I would tag Matera on the end from where it is a fairly easy drive back to the airport.

Wales
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best coastal base/itinerary advice

Just adding this to bump it back up the queue but you could consider Monopoli as an alternative base to Polignano. There is a large industrial area on the outskirts which does not make it look appealing but it has a lovely old centre and has a nice little sandy town beach that your other half craves. You will really be mixing it with the locals here.

fjc
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best coastal base/itinerary advice

Thank you so much for the advice. Will have look at Monopoli but may do as you suggest and drive down the coast to find a sandy beach if the other half decides he cannot cope with the rocks.

Wales
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best coastal base/itinerary advice

Back to your original itinerary I think I would base myself in three places, Polignano/ Monopoli, Otranto and Matera. All the places you want to see are within easy reach and pleasant drives of these places.

Reply to: Best coastal base/itinerary advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted