We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town as a base - Arezzo, Perugia, Cortona

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Which town as a base - Arezzo, Perugia, Cortona

My husband and I would like to focus our return trip to Italy on the beautiful, charming, quaint smaller towns in Tuscany and Umbria. We're active seniors who have traveled quite a bit and feel comfortable exploring new places. While we realize hiring a car would be preferable, we'd rather travel by train and bus. Please help us decide which town would be the best base for several days after having been to Orvieto and before going on to Siena.

Thank you!

12 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which town as a base - Arezzo, Perugia, Cortona

If deciding to hire a car for the day from Arezzo, Avis is right across the street from the station. Spend the morning in Montepulciano [about an hour], then Pienza and lunch at Latte di Luna [about an hour return]. There are no ZTL issues, as you park outside of these towns and walk in.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Which town as a base - Arezzo, Perugia, Cortona

I'd recommend Arezzo too, having stayed there for 5 days awhile ago. We had no car & used it as a base. A very nice little town & without the tourist hordes.

Reply to: Which town as a base - Arezzo, Perugia, Cortona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cortona