We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Do with Children

WIDNES
Level Contributor
3 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
What to Do with Children

I have 2 children aged 7 and 11 - staying in Florence for 3 days. Can anyone suggest what to do.

Looked at some wine tasting tours but think kids will be bored. Kids love outdoor activities/walking.

Any recommendations would help. Any decent restaurants (not tooo expensive) for eating out at night.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
England
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to Do with Children

Hi,

Here is a link to my trip report that I dion activities for kids:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187893-i67-k74705…

England
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to Do with Children

That should read 'did on'!

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to Do with Children

Climb the Duomo dome or the Giotto Tower. rent a bike in the Cascine park, do the best ice cream competition, go to the Leonardo da Vinci hands on museum in Via de Servi, take a tour of the secret passages in Palazzo vecchio (NOT the Corridoio vasariano), go to Boboli gardens and try to discover an unexplored corner of the gardens.

Mentioned in this post
Giotto
Giotto
135 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Leonardo Da Vinci
Leonardo Da Vinci
515 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Palazzo Vecchio
Palazzo Vecchio
7,592 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Corridoio Vasariano
Corridoio Vasariano
986 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Boboli
Boboli
430 Reviews
San Gimignano, Italy
washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to Do with Children

If either or both are of the male persuasion, the Stibbert Museum has one of the very best collections of arms and armor anywhere, in a terrific villa in a lovely park.

The Bargello has a superb, small collection of arms and armor, together with great sculptures of animals and the largest cannon ever cast in bronze - all set in one of the best castles ever built.

Mentioned in this post
Stibbert Museum
Stibbert Museum
610 Reviews
Florence, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,352 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to Do with Children

I am not so sure that climbing the Duomo with children is a good idea. it is dark, and claustophobic inside. People are squished up in front of and in back of you. The steps are not in good condtion. My 20-something daughter and I couldn't take take it and go all the way to the cupola. We got off at the first place we could and headed back down. We weren't the only ones. There is no way I would take a 2 year old into the climb to the Duomo.

The Boboli gardens near the Pitti palace would be a good place. They could run and tire themselves out.

Mentioned in this post
Boboli
Boboli
430 Reviews
San Gimignano, Italy
washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to Do with Children

Lupaling,

I may be missing something, but who said anything about taking a two-year old up the dome?

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to Do with Children

Take 'em on a train ride to Lucca and rent bikes and bike all around the walls. Then go to San Freddiano Church to visit the ACTUAL REMAINS of Santa Zita....my grandchildren loved being "creeped out" by this. You must stress reverence, etc. in the visit, but after emphasizing respect, you can lightly touch on the unique opportunity - if you'd call it that - to visit the little saint. Tell them story of her miracle in advance. My grandkids tell their cousins about this "event" every time the Trip To Italy conversations arise. (Bear in mind, they're good Catholic kids, but they still take some additional "secular" interest in this adventure.)

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to Do with Children

Oh, and....while you're in Lucca let the kids climb the Guingi Tower (the one with the tree growing on it). It's a climbing adventure with a great view at the top, but with less crowding and phobic-causing duskiness than the Duomo in Firenze. It is about 248 steps to the top and a great photo op when you get there....and really sore muscles the next day!

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Firenze Suite
Firenze Suite
325 Reviews
Florence, Italy
9. Re: What to Do with Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 08:19