We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

Hanoi
Level Contributor
4 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

As some posts in a closed thread on this forum state, the 'Stazione di Servizio' at Aeroporto Galileo Galilei in Pisa practices highway robbery. The station does not take credit cards, and also does not take debit cards. Only cash is accepted, and you are NOT WARNED BEFOREHAND that there will be NO CHANGE from anything you put in the machine. The only English the attendant knows appears to be 'no change' when you ask him about the change.

This scam affects everyone at this station and apparently others, and thus the car rentals at PISA AIRPORT should ALL warn every client about this scam: we should be told to fill up well before you reach the airport, unless you want to bring a bunch of small bills or coins with you.We were quite disappointed (and law enforcement should also be) that our 50 Euro note bought only 32.00 of fuel and the other ± 18 Euros was simply 'donated' to the cheating operators of that station. How can this kind of cheating the customer be good for Italy?

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Euro Hotel
Euro Hotel
158 Reviews
Tirrenia, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
12 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,400 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

This is the way it works in many self serve machines. You get a receipt that you can use to purchase more gas with the balance, but that does you no good if you're returning a rental car and are leaving town.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
4 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

Thanks for explaining. Until it happens to you, you have no idea the gas-replenishing will work that way. I wish the car rental agencies can give a paragraph about how to get gas in Italy to avoid this. Many airports have charities collecting the coins you cannot cash into the money of your homeland when you leave. How about the car rental having a gas donation credit collection? I'd be happy to see the credit go somewhere where it can do some good. It is disappointing to lose that money, when it could be repurposed to Humane Society, Future Farmers of Italy, etc etc.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Cremona, Italy
Level Contributor
433 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

Yes as far as I know there is no way to pay the exact price of a tank refill if you pay first through a self-service machine: to do that you need a gas station that allows to pay AFTER having refilled the car.

In Italy only service stations with a human cashier allows to do that.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Turin
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

Luca you can do it payIng by debit card when the station is closed. You are charged for the exact amount of gas you buy.

Linda I've never seen an automatic gas station giving cash change as coffe machines, never all over Europe. Why should they warn you about something that's obvious to everybody?

Edited: 28 June 2017, 21:30
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,434 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

The small local fuel station I use regularly pre-authorises up to €100 of fuel on your credit or debit card, and you can then fill up with and are charged for exactly the amount of fuel you need.

So it can be done, and it is done, with cards. But I too know of no machines which give change for notes (bills). You are expected to know how much fuel you need, and put in the right amount of money.

Edited: 28 June 2017, 22:13
Hanoi
Level Contributor
4 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

I feel it's a scam to not to be told by the rental company that cash machines for gas at the airport do NOT give change. We've purchased food, lodging and also gas automatically on our credit/debit cards in Italy with no problems. Toll roads all make correct change. Seems like car rental agencies should insist that the closest gas to the rental companies should be the most flexible re. terms of payments, not the least flexible. I'm sure I'm not the only car renter who expected the change shown on the receipt would be actual money back.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Greater Manchester...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

The station we used (IP Service) does take credit cards but the system is strange and difficult to understand. The payment machine is separate from the pump – and somehow on our trip, I ended up paying for somebody else’s petrol.

The attendants were particularly unhelpful – just kept pointing to an instruction sheet, which itself wasn’t very helpful either - just a one line instruction.

As instructed though I put my credit card, entered may pin number and pressed the relevant pump number. Out came a receipt for a large amount of petrol but as it didn’t have my credit card number on I just ignored it. I went over to the pump and topped up the car with the small amount of diesel need. Went back to the machine to get the receipt but it wouldn’t do anything until I put may card details in again. When I did, it asked me to fill the car again, so back I went, lifted the nozzle and put it back again. This time the machine gave me a receipt - but for zero amount.

As I was on the last minute and didn’t think I would get any joy from the attendants, I left thinking that maybe I had come off on top for once - but no. When I got my credit card bill, the payment for the large amount of petrol was there. Don’t know if this is a scam or not or if other stations around the airport are the same, but I would definitely avoid this station in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

BEWARE, BE VERY AWARE, this is the most dodgy petrol station that I ever purchased from in my entire life,basically you put in your Visa Debit card, enter your number and then nothing happens, the pump numbers 1 - 4 start flashing but when you select your pump and then try and put the fuel into the car nothing happens, you then must put your card in again and somehow things seem ok. I have been charged for € 100 of fuel that I didnt buy.

DONT STOP THERE TO TOP UP.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

I just got back from a trip to Pisa, and the exact same thing happened to me. I put in a 50-EURO note, and added gas for 12 EUROs. It is a bizarre system, and I am not sure how you are expected to carry the proper amount of change and know how much gas you need for a rental when I am visiting from out of country. Well lesson learned!

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
385 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!

If you're coming to the airport from Florence direction on the Fi-Pi-Li as many people do, as the road splits to Livrono and Pisa, there are a couple of petrol stations before you get to the airport, the furthest being around 8km away and which generally has an attendant. If you fill up there, you can pay cash and will still have a full tank when you get to the airport

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Reply to: PISA Airport Service Station - BEWARE TANKING UP rental car!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted