We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Rome to Pisa

Santa Clara
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
How to get from Rome to Pisa

I will be taking a day trip from Rome to Pisa. I did this trip back in 2000, but forgot. Does anyone know which train station in Pisa I need to get to - is it Pisa Centrale? Also, I remember taking a bus across the train station to the Leaning Tower, does anyone know the # of the bus and its house (when we needed to take the train back to Rome, we were too late for the bus and I'll be travelling with seniors this time so don't want to have to walk back to the train station) Also, other than the entrance fee to climb the tower, is there any other fee we need to pay to enter the Tower premises? I recall having to pay something. thanks, I hope someone can help!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: How to get from Rome to Pisa

Yes it is Pisa Centrale, I think the Number 1 bus takes from you from there to the tower. And yes, you will have to pay to get into each of the other buildings, ie duomo, camposanto & baptistry. You just go to the ticket office and buy a ticket for the ones you want to see. If you just want to look at the tower it is free, but if you actually want to climb it, it is best to pre-book tickets online.

Santa Clara
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: How to get from Rome to Pisa

Great, thanks Peggy! That confirms what I found through my search online yesterday! Now I feel confident with the seniors in my company!

St. Louis
10 posts
3. Re: How to get from Rome to Pisa

We just took a train from Rome to Pisa and had a great time. Anyway, if I were you and traveling with seniors, I would just take a taxi. Only cost you about 6 or 6 euros and will be a lot faster and more convenient. We did walk one way and it was not that far. I would say it was about 2.5 miles.

new jersey
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: How to get from Rome to Pisa

I am interested in doing a day trip from Rome to Pisa (skipping Florence), how long is the trip by train and are there any bus tours directly there?

Santa Clara
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: How to get from Rome to Pisa

you can take the Eurostar - it's about a 3hr ride along the coast. From Rome to Pisa, it's only $100 roundtrip, great deal!

Santa Clara
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: How to get from Rome to Pisa

Thanks Gina.... is it easy to find a taxi at the train station and outside the Leaning Tower for our return back to the train station? I agree that would be easiest, but we'll also have 5 of us so hopefully we can squeeze into the taxi without problems. If taxis are frequent and easy to catch, I'll do it vs. taking the bus which is more of a hassle. thank you!

new jersey
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: How to get from Rome to Pisa

arleena67

I am interested in thaking a day trip out to Pisa from Rome. How did you manage with your group? I iwill have my mom , husband and 3yr old son with me. How diid you purchase your train tickets?

new jersey
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: How to get from Rome to Pisa

arleena67

I am interested in thaking a day trip out to Pisa from Rome. How did you manage with your group? I iwill have my mom , husband and 3yr old son with me. How diid you purchase your train tickets?

Delawhere?
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: How to get from Rome to Pisa

Hi, I am also thinking of taking a day trip from Rome to Pisa. I checked the Eurostar website and it does not look like they travel that route. Or anywhere in Italy for that matter, am I missing something? I looked at Rail Europe and the journey with them is about 4 hours, is that right?

Thanks so much for any help/advice!

perth
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
10. Re: How to get from Rome to Pisa

Have you tried the trenitalia site ?lennyb