We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Pisa means Theft

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Pisa means Theft

AVOID parking in Parcheggio via Peitrasantina in Pisa - it's recommended on TA, yet is NOT safe. My car was broken into and our bags were taken (July 26, 2016) According to a few (not very helpful) people who work around the lot, cars are broken into constantly. Thankfully our things were only clothes, but still I would not give the well-organized theives the chance. At 10:00 no one was in the lot, but upon returning to our car, there were many vendors, train and tour bus drivers, people sitting/laying in parking spaces - it's not a good place. The police will not help, but you should file a report of something happens.

Pedicab Pisa City Ecotour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Smile & Ride
Equipment Hire, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours
Pisatour
Sightseeing Tours
City Grand Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
50 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,488 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Pisa means Theft

Sorry for your experience, but I have to say this confirms the recommendation very frequently given on TA (and often contested by people lucky enough to have done it without problems) not to leave anything in a parked car, and therefore not to go sightseeing while driving between one place and another. No public parking facility is going to be completely safe, recommended or not.

I do hope your travel insurance covers the financial loss, even if there is no way of making up for the inconvenience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Pisa means Theft

Thanks for the heads up. We are gong to Pisa today on our way to Siena from Pisa airport and will have full luggage in car while we see Pisa for couple of hours. Which would be a safe place to park with luggage in car. I don't mind paying up for safety.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Pisa means Theft

It is NEVER advised to leave luggage or any other belongings in a parked car. Always better to leave luggage at a left luggage facility and carry valuables with you (well hidden, obviously..)

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Pisa means Theft

You could leave your luggage at the airport and take the local city bus to the tower (I assume that's where you want to go), then pick up your car when you return.

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Pisa means Theft

Many thanks all. That is well understood.

UK
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Pisa means Theft

There is also a left luggage facility at Pisa Centrale Station

https:/…train-station

Arundel, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Pisa means Theft

On Saturday 15.10.16 I was parked with my colleague in the car park outside decathlon in Pisa in 2 large passenger carrying minibuses. We went for a coffee, on return found both of the drivers side rear tyres on his bus had been slashed. Whilst changing the wheels we had to unlock the doors momentarily to take out the spare. The thieves entered the bus on the opposite side and took his bag containing wallet, documents, camera etc. Maybe it sounds like were a bit stupid, but he had been carrying around his bag so as not to leave it anywhere and put it inside the bus whilst working. There were 4 of us around the bus at the time in a very busy car park outside a large shopping centre. The thieves even smiled at us as they said good morning from a very nice car that they arrived in. The police weren't interested in helping....they were too busy apparently and the security cameras in the car park don't work. Documents etc can be replaced (we are lucky we work here so have the time) but the damage to the vehicle and hassle/time it took was frustrating. Stay extra vigilant....There is lots to enjoy in Pisa but it is a shame that these thieves that have been active for several years are ruining the reputation of such a nice city.

Clarence Center
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in Pisa means Theft

Is there any place to park your car safely while exploring Pisa? We will be traveling there from Tuscany just for the day next week and are slightly hesitating to drive?? Of course we will not have any luggage in our car or valuables, but still do not want to have a damaged rental car. Do you have any suggestions?

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in Pisa means Theft

Unfotunately I found this after it happened to us (Jan 3, 2017). We stopped for a couple hours, parked in a pay lot with an attendant, and had our luggage stolen. Being from Montana, USA, it didn't cross our minds this could happen. Hard lesson

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,768 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking in Pisa means Theft

Nothing bad happens in Montana, then?

This is very widely known - never leave anything in a car in Italy when parking it. Fact of life that things can go missing. Most guidebooks (all mine do) mention it.

Now you know - Sorry it happened; Your police report should ensure your travel insurance reimburses you for the losses.

Reply to: Parking in Pisa means Theft
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted