We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

florence to san gimignano

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
florence to san gimignano

can someone pls advise where we should pick up a rented car if we intend to drive from Florence (staying at La Terrazza Su Boboli) to San Gimignano (staying 2 nights at Hotel Vecchio Asilo)? We like to avoid the hefty fines in Florence. How should we fit Pisa into this leg of our trip ie visit Pisa on the way to San Gimi or when we are leaving San Gimi? We will be heading for Venice from Tuscany.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,825 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: florence to san gimignano

Car rental companies are to be found near Santa mMria Novella station in Borgo Ognissanti. From here it is not difficult to drive out of Florence without going near the city centre and its ZTL areas (Traffic Free Zones).

Not all that easy to fit Pisa and San Gimignano in one drive as Pisa is some 50 miles due west whilst San Gimignano is nearly due south on the A1 autostrada - get off at the Poggobonsi exit. A good road map such as the Touring Club Italiano Toscana sheet at a scale of 1;200,000 is very useful if driving in Tuscany.

Pisa is most easily reached from Florence by train. See www.trenitalia.it for timetables, the journey is usually a fraction over the hour.

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: florence to san gimignano

Hi Twothumbs,

If I was you, I would take the train from Florence to Pisa central, visit the Field of Miracles, take the train back to the Pisa airport (8 mins ride) hire your car from the airport, then set off for San Gimignano, taking the Fi-Pi-Li direction Florence. After 20 mins driving take the 1st or 2nd exit to Pontedera (I take the 2nd, that way you don't drive through 3 or 4 towns), at the roundabout follow directions for Volterra and after approx 25 mins driving, you will arrive at Molino D'Era where there is an intersection and the road on the right goes to Volterra and the one on the left goes to San Gimignano and Siena, about another 30 mins drive to San Gim.

Not long after you have turned off at the exit for Pontedera, you will start to enjoy seeing the beautiful Tuscan countryside!

All the best and enjoy!

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: florence to san gimignano

thank you all... really appreciate your directions!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: florence to san gimignano

Hi

My wife and I went to Florence a couple of years back and after a few days in the city we rented a car and drove around to look at all the beautiful small towns around Tuscany and we used Castellina in Chianti as a base. Anyway, we were supposed to pick up the rental car at the airport but we saw the Avis office close to where we were staying in Florence and we decided to pick it up there instead. Getting out of Florence was not too bad but it was great to have the help of the GPS :-). I do have a trip report that I can share with you if you are interested. Send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you :-)

Regards

Gard

5. Re: florence to san gimignano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2009, 13:37