We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice requested: Base in San Gim, bus to Siena & Greve

ca
Level Contributor
276 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Advice requested: Base in San Gim, bus to Siena & Greve

My husband and I are planning to spend four days in Tuscany at the end of August. Our plan is to stay in San Gimignano, and do one day trip each to Siena and Greve (or elsewhere in Chianti?) via a combination of taxi and bus. We will not have a car.

Could anyone please suggest a hotel/agriturismo in San Gimignano under 120 EUR per night, that would give us a beautiful stay in the countryside with great food, but still be somewhat convenient for bus access to Siena and Greve? Also, please let me know your thoughts on how expensive and readily available taxis will be to/from the relevant bus stops. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Molino di Foci
Molino di Foci
#2 of 28 hotels in San Gimignano
Le Colline
Le Colline
#4 of 28 hotels in San Gimignano
Hotel Sovestro
Hotel Sovestro
#7 of 28 hotels in San Gimignano
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice requested: Base in San Gim, bus to Siena & Greve

I'm not sure San Gimignano would be a good base for Siena and Greve. Bus routes generally radiate from provincial capitals: San Gimignano is in the province of Siena, but Greve is in the province of Florence.

Have a look at the bus schedules:

http://www.trainspa.it/en/home.html

http://www.acvbus.it/index.php?SEZ=9

There are no metered taxis in rural Tuscany. You can hire cars with drivers who charge by the hour, or you can hope that the owners/staff of wherever you stay will drive you to the bus stop, or perhaps you can walk to the bus stop.

Mentioned in this post
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Province of Siena
Province of Siena
Tuscany, Italy
ca
Level Contributor
276 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice requested: Base in San Gim, bus to Siena & Greve

Thanks for the quick response! I was under the impression that worst case, there would be taxis at the Poggibonsi bus stop/train station which we could take to our hotel in San Gimiganano. Poggibonsi seems connected to Siena and Greve. Am I missing something? Thank you again.

Mentioned in this post
Poggibonsi
Poggibonsi
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice requested: Base in San Gim, bus to Siena & Greve

Poggibonsi is connected to Siena, but neither Siena nor Poggibonsi is connected to Greve, as far as I can tell.

Mentioned in this post
Poggibonsi
Poggibonsi
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
4. Re: Advice requested: Base in San Gim, bus to Siena & Greve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2009, 23:47
Sardinia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice requested: Base in San Gim, bus to Siena & Greve

I always recomend you rent a car. The Tuscan countryside is so beautiful that a car is highly recommended. There is a car rental place in San Gimignano. www.bellinibruno.com you can rent a car from them and drive to Greve. The chianti Classico area is beautiful.

If you take the train from Poggibonsi to Siena keep in mind that the train station is a bit far from the city center.

Mentioned in this post
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Poggibonsi
Poggibonsi
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
6. Re: Advice requested: Base in San Gim, bus to Siena & Greve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2010, 13:16