We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Palio August 16, 2018

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Palio August 16, 2018

We are travelling with 4 adults and 3 boys ages 11, 12 & 14. We will be staying in Cortona August 11-18.

While we are 7 people I'm not sure we would spend approximate of $700 per person. We would like to get invited to a Contrada if possible at a reasonable price. In any event any advice would be appreciated.

Joe Corona

Mentioned in this post
Cortona
Cortona
Province of Arezzo, Italy
1 reply
alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Palio August 16, 2018

Do you mean going to a Contrada dinner? If so you will need someone in Siena to arrange buying tickets. However I do not think it will interest your kids. You will be seated with other tourists, served a standard meal and all the speeches and songs will be in Italian. I think it’s a great experience, not sure the kids will appreciate it.

The day of the Palio I think you will enjoy the drumming, pageantry and flag waving but you should do some research to see if you want to actually see the race it self by either spending lots of Euros for a reserved seat or being very uncomfortable in the middle of the Campo for a very long time.

One alternative is to go the days before the Palio, see the trial races for free and view some of the pageantry and flag waving in the streets.

This is serious event for Siena, yes they let tourists view it but it iis not really set up as an easy attraction.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Reply to: The Palio August 16, 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted