We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking tour or on your own

boston
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
walking tour or on your own

Hi All,

We will be going on a day trip to Assisi in the middle of April 2017. i am not sure whether we should book a walking tour or head off on our own.

thanks

2 replies to this topic
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,116 posts
611 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking tour or on your own

Hello, it's quite personal; but, from my point of view, visiting places on one's own is better. Assisi is small and not difficult to visit.

Level Contributor
2,488 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: walking tour or on your own

In my opinion on the contrary Assisi is best visited with a guide, but a very particular one: a Franciscan friar or nun!

The fact is that this place was really transformed by Francis and Claire of Assisi, and to learn their stories and anecdotes from people that are trying to follow their steps for their own lives is a much different experience.

anyway you have to find a way to learn (better in detail) the lives of Francis and Claire. A guide? Books? It's up to you! ;-)

In the link I give you below there are some suggestions, actually there would be other possibilities for the books I suggest, like the Thomas of Celano "The first life of Saint Francis" or the "Legend of the Three Companions"...

If you read my posts in this thread you'll find a personal perspective and some informations about Francis and Claire

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187905-i1049-k939…

For a guided tour by Franciscan friars, try to ask to the convent of the Frati Minori in Santa Maria degli Angeli; may be they do tours also in English, I don't know... or anyway they might suggest you where to ask!

Reply to: walking tour or on your own
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted