We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay en route to Nice

England
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to stay en route to Nice

Hello

We are travelling from Verdun to Nice and would like to overnight in Switzerland, somewhere around Neuchatel, Fribourg, Lausanne - not too far from the A1. We would like to stay in a typical Swiss (Bavarian?) hotel /guest house - window boxes with geraniums....Any ideas would be welcomed. We are 2 fifty something couples.

Many thanks

Chris

Mentioned in this post
Verdun
Verdun
Meuse, France
Neuchatel
Neuchatel
Canton of Neuchatel, Switzerland
Fribourg
Fribourg
Canton of Fribourg, Switzerland
Lausanne
Lausanne
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Hotel Palafitte
Hotel Palafitte
#1 of 12 hotels in Neuchatel
Beau-Rivage Hotel
Beau-Rivage Hotel
#2 of 12 hotels in Neuchatel
Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

This area is the Suisse Romandie it takes its influences from France. There are some delightful villages not far from the Motorway on the shores of lake Neuchatel or the small lake of Murten with the walled town of the same name. Further south is the town of Estavevey-Le-Lac again very historic. To the East you are closer to the Alpes Fribourgouise with the towms of Bulle and Gruyeres close to the motorway. There are lots of places to stay probaly as you are with car it would be easy to find some place on the road, most villages have a small hotel and there are farmhouses and the like which advertise rooms by the roadside.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Suisse
Hotel Suisse
1,340 Reviews
Nice, France
France
France
Europe
Neuchatel
Neuchatel
Canton of Neuchatel, Switzerland
Lac d'Annecy
Lac d'Annecy
5,705 Reviews
Annecy, France
France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

If you know the area you want to stay then you can find lots of options on www.bnb.ch a list of bed and breakfast houses with a photo for most places.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

If you're willing to carry on along the lake and then head up the A12, I have a few suggestions.

I agree that Gruyeres might be a good option. A few exits up the A12, direction Bern/Fribourg is Gruyeres. There is a nice looking B&B that I found when researching for someone else and it has good reviews here on TA. I have walked past it and it would match your criteria. It's at the base of the hill leading up to the pretty medieval walled town:

www.lafermedubourgoz.ch/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g198820-d610078…

Another favourite spot of mine is the Auberge du Lac des Joncs above Les Paccots. Again, I've only ever eaten there (because I stay in family accommodation), but it is pretty adorable and they have great food. It has a little nature reserve lake behind it and a lovely panorama of the mountains in front of it. It's one exit off the A12 (Chatel St. Denis/Les Paccots) and then a 15 minute drive. There are no reviews of it on TA, but based on the rest of the place I would say it's probably simple and clean. I know that they are a bit old school about answering emails, so your best bet would probably be to contact the tourist office for more information if it interests you:

www.myswitzerland.com/en/hotels/index.cfm/freiburg/lespaccots/auberge+du+lac+des+joncs/13260

If you are travelling between June and October and feeling rustic, Heidi style, you could spend a night on the hay at this place (one exit off the A12 and then a 25-ish minute drive):

www.chaletincrota.ch/

I have eaten there, but not stayed. It is a very cute place indeed with really good food. I believe that a night on the hay literally means that, so this may be a bit too rustic for you.

Let me know if you want any more information about how to get to these places and I'll describe where they are.

Happy travels wherever you end up. You'll have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
Fribourg
Fribourg
Canton of Fribourg, Switzerland
Lac d'Annecy
Lac d'Annecy
5,705 Reviews
Annecy, France
Chatel
Chatel
Abondance, France
Saint-Denis
Saint-Denis
Seine-Saint-Denis, France
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

Sorry, forgot something obvious. This mini video shows the panorama in front of the Auberge du Lac des Joncs in the winter and then when I spin round just at the end, you can see the Auberge at the top of the hill:

tripadvisor.com/VideoGallery-g644345-i191302…

All the places I mentioned are accessible by car.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

If you are driving through the Alsace, stop by in Riquewhir. Plenty of houses with geraniums there.

http://i-love-riquewihr.com/pt_9.html

Mentioned in this post
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

That looks like a very pretty place indeed.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

Riquewhir is on my way to Switzerland and next Winter when there is snow and sunlight I will make it a job to stop there for a couple of hours and take pictures.

Mentioned in this post
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

I would be interested to see photos, so please do add some to TA and maybe post a link.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

Riquewihr? Yes pretty, but maybe even too much! It looks like a museum village for me and that's exactly the reason why it's completely overrun during season. Everything arranged to please the tourists - shops, restaurants, hotels. For me a reason to avoid it as there are many other beautiful villages in Alsace with 'real' life.

Actually I have about the same feelings about Gruyeres. I visited it for the first time last year and after one hour or so I had to take flight from the tourist crowds! Maybe only my personal problem though as there seem to be so many tourists who like these places.

Mentioned in this post
Riquewihr
Riquewihr
Haut-Rhin, France
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

I enjoy going to places out of season, both in Switzerland in the UK - same interesting places, but fewer people and some more lively weather!

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Neuchatel