We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay en route to Nice

England
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to stay en route to Nice

Hello

We are travelling from Verdun to Nice and would like to overnight in Switzerland, somewhere around Neuchatel, Fribourg, Lausanne - not too far from the A1. We would like to stay in a typical Swiss (Bavarian?) hotel /guest house - window boxes with geraniums....Any ideas would be welcomed. We are 2 fifty something couples.

Many thanks

Chris

Riquewihr, France
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

Hum..., Riquewihr is my village and I can assure you that there is real life there, not only tourists!

Riquewihr, being a village of a little more than 1200 inhabitants is the 3rd place in Alsace after Strasbourg and Colmar for the number of National Heritage buildings. Would you avoid visiting the Louvre museum because there are too many artefacts attracting too many visitors? For those who wish to avoid the crowds, it is very simple: just leave the main street!

If you stay in Riquewihr, even in the high season, you will notice that the visitors arrive at 11 am and leave at 6 pm. And all the rest of the time you can enjoy the place for you alone. Actually, by stopping over only for an hour or so, it is just possible to enlarge the crowds without having the real experience of the place.

And during the day, for the people wishing to experiencing some rest, the forest and the mountain are just within walking distance.

Mentioned in this post
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

How's the ice-wine coming along this time ?

Riquewihr, France
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

Will check with my neighbour who is a nice and excellent winemaker (great quality at excellent price, yes it is possible even in Riquewihr :-)) and I will post an updated to the forum about the 2008 vintage.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

Riquewihr is not my favourite village. But different people, different opinions! And if you live there it's obvious that you get to know the place from another point of view.

But anyway I guess that we get off the topic here. Remember that the poster has asked for an accommodation in Fribourg area? From Verdun to Riquewihr it's not even 3 hours of driving - too short, oder better too far to drive the next day to Nice!

15. Re: where to stay en route to Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Neuchatel