We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trips from Neuchatel

Massachusetts
2 posts
Save Topic
trips from Neuchatel

We (2 adults) are staying in Neuchatel for 4 days in mid-February. Does anyone have suggestions for day trips or half day trips. We have some commitments in Neuchatel at various times during our stay, so may not have whole days to tour. Also, we are flying into Zurich. Should we use trains for ground transport or rent a car? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
canada
Level Contributor
8,022 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trips from Neuchatel

Use the train.

For day trips, the closer places of interest are Murten and Biel, a little further away would be Basel and Bern. That should be more than enough for 4 days.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trips from Neuchatel

Hi DeanneMassachusetts,

Yes, as bofoster says, use the train -- convenient, easy, FUN, and gets you closer to the locals.

I'd also consider a trip to Montreux or Vevey, lovely towns on Lake Geneva. You may find it interesting to compare how different the two lakes are.

I'd also see Biel, and I'll add Avenches and its Roman ruins.

Also think about Fribourg -- haven't been there but have heard it's an absolutely lovely town.

Have fun!

s

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,797 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trips from Neuchatel

You do not need to go far from Neuchâtel to see great and interesting places. Here are my suggestions:

Asphalt Mines at Travers: For more information send an Email to info@gout-region.ch as the homepage, http://www.gout-region.ch/mines.php , is only available in French and in German.

Le Locle and La Chaux de Fonds are part of the Unesco World Heritage. See http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1302 for more information.

As Bofroster says, Murten and Biel are also not very far.

For timetables look at www.sbb.ch/en and for rail passes look at www.swisstravelsystem.ch

Have a great time

pore

Mentioned in this post
Le Locle
Le Locle
Canton of Neuchatel, Switzerland
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,082 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trips from Neuchatel

I would strongly suggest a day in Bern. It is a gem of a city and too often ignored by travellers.

If you want to enjoy thermal baths, there is a good one at Yverdon-les Bains, not too far from Neuchâtel.

Much as I like le Lôcle, this is not a place to visit in winter. Too much snow and way too cold! Just walking around there can be a problem, especially for the ears!! They do have a superb Watch Museum, but it is a way from the station (you would need to take a bus) as are the mines.

But whatever you do, take the trains!! Don't drive, especially not in the winter.

Massachusetts
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: trips from Neuchatel

Thanks to all four of you for your speedy and informative replies. We'll definitely take your advice and I know we'll have a great trip.

Thanks,

DeanneMassachusetts

6. Re: trips from Neuchatel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2010, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Neuchatel