We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couvet, Neuchatel

Bussum, The...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Couvet, Neuchatel

Hello :)

I am writing here because I do not see the topic about Couvet. My family and I are planning to visit Switzerland this summer, and first we go for 3 days to Couvet or Neuchatel. (previously we arrive by plane in Basel).

Is it a good idea to spend the nights in Neuchatel, and from there go to Couvet (Travers, Noirague area)? Or is better option to Couvet be the main base?

We have two children (2 and 4 years). Are there in Couvet, Travers, and Noirague some interesting places for children?

Are there any organized tours through the Val de Travers region, or we can go for public transportation (is there)?

I have a lot of questions, but I hope somebody might answer on this post first.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,782 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Couvet, Neuchatel

A good place to start your research would be to visit the Jura Region website at:-

www.juraregion.ch/en/home.html

Bussum, The...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
2. Re: Couvet, Neuchatel

Thanks, this is very useful link. I found similar one for Neuchatel http://www.neuchateltourisme.ch/en/home.html :)

Now is hard to decide where to stay, because everything look so interesting and beautiful.

But, I would also like to read some suggestions from other travelers or habitants from Neuchatel and the area. Are there some children amusment in Neuchatel (in town itself), Would there be in July any heppening or so?

Are the beaches equiped with children's facilities?

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,782 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Couvet, Neuchatel

Deciding on where to stay is a very personal thing and on which it is difficult to offer advice. You need to consider what type of holiday you are looking for, the type of accommodation and how you intend to get around.

The myswitzerland site is always a good place to start. www.myswitzerland.com/en/home.html

If you are thinking about staying in Neuchâtel then the site you have located should help you with further information. Under 'Fun & Co' you will find details of the Nid-du-Crô swimming pool.

If you visit map.search.ch/ and enter Neuchâtel and click on 'Entertainment' you will see where the pools and playgrounds are located.

I have stayed on Lakes Biel and Murten but never on Lake Neuchâtel although I have visited city where I was fortunate enough to see the automatons in the Musée d'Art et d'Histoire. neuchateltourisme.ch/en/decouvertes/unique-a…

I can also recommend the Papiliorama at Kerzers. www.papiliorama.ch/

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
4. Re: Couvet, Neuchatel

The Jura are mountains (look mostly more like big hills) in Switzerland and France. Only the eastern pars to the Jura are German speaking, in the rest it's French. There is a Swiss canton called Jura, Cuvet is in the Jura mountains and in the canton of Neuchatel in the Val de Travers (valley).

There is public transport, but it's limited (one train per hour to Neuchatel, very few busses in the area). Different to most other areas in Switzerland, in the Jura a car is a big advantage, specially with so small children.

for timetables of public transport use www.sbb.ch/en for routing information www.viamichelin.com

Nearby great sights are the Creux du Van (big cliff with some ibexes living there) and the Gorge de l'Areuse and a bit further the Sautes du Doubs, but I guess you alerady found the best websites of the area.

The Jura is much more into small scale tourism and not everybody speaks English or German (but there is always a way to understand each other). Many farms, often with great view, have a small bar or restaurant, usually there is small sign on the roads indicating it like "buvette, restaurant or métairie" .

The lake district www.dreiseenland.ch is completely different to the Jura with wineyards along the lakes, great swimming places at the lakes, many old historic cities like Neuchatel and Murten/Morat.

Good family places there are for example the Papiliorama (great bad weather option), the Seeteufel (zoo near Biel)

Most mountains of the "first row" offer great view of about half of Switzerland (lake, cities and the Alps in the back), of course only on clear weather days.

Other areas in reachable distance (by car) from Couvet are all part of the canton du Vaud www.region-du-leman.ch , Fribourg www.fribourgtourisme.ch around the city of Bern www.berninfo.com/ and around lake Thun www.thunersee.ch

For events anywhere in Switzerland go to www.myswitzerland.com/en/event_calendar/

Bussum, The...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
5. Re: Couvet, Neuchatel

swissaholic,

thanks for map.search.ch site, this is really helpful!

When I said it's difficult to decide where to stay, I meant that because I planned to be somewhere near Neuchatel and Couvet. But with your Jura canton reviewing suggestion, choices became multiple, because everything is so wonderfull and days are so short :)

I know it's personal thing where to stay, but we are here to share opinion with each other. It doesn't mean that I would go to the first place someone suggest.

mube, Creux du Van and the Gorge de l'Areuse are exactly what we intend to visit. We won't have a car, that's why I'm keeping "worrying" about.

It looks like that we are going to stay in Neuchatel 2 or 3 nights, and then we go to Bern (or somewhere around) 2 nights, so we can reach Murten. Fribourg is too far since our next destination is Zurich. Thun and Interlaken would remain unfortunately for some other time since we go to Lago Maggiore this summer. We have to organize all the activities and visits that will last only 12-14 days. It would be stressful to travel everyday with children and bags to stay everywhere for one day. That won't be a holiday then. :(

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
17,017 posts
292 reviews
6. Re: Couvet, Neuchatel

Hi Nelzie

The Val de Travers is a very nice valey and Neuchâtel is a great little city. You will like both of them.

While you are at the Valon (how the valley is also called by it's inhabitants) look at the Asphalt mines of Travers - ausflugsziele.ch/uebersicht/eintragung.asp… - which are a very plesant visit (there is a translation button next to the Swiss map).

A boat tour on lake Neuchâtel is very nice with all the wineyards along the hills.

pore

www.papiliorama.ch/default.asp…

Bussum, The...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
7. Re: Couvet, Neuchatel

thanks pore, I keep in mind Asphalt mine and Butterfly gardens in case of bad weather.

One maybe silly question:)

i'm not sure if I've understood well, but on navig.ch i found for instance that is possible to go by boat from Neuchatel to Murten... How's that possible? They're not at the same lake. Then the boat goes through that chanel that connects the two of lakes? or there is train/bus connection between waiting for people to change boat? and are the vineyard and hills you've mentioned, there?

The returnt ticket for boat ride isn't cheap at all, I count on that we can also see vineyards and hills during Neuchatel-Bern train ride and when we come to Morat to oneday trip. We're plannig to go on boat trip on some other lakes, maybe it would be to much boat trips in 10 days.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,782 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Couvet, Neuchatel

All three lakes (Neuchâtel, Bielersee and Murtensee) are connected by canals. If you go to map.search.ch/ and magnify you will see that the Murtensee is accessed by the Canal de la Broye.

There are vineyards on Mt Vully on the northern side of the Murtensee. www.murtentourismus.ch/en/navpage.cfm…

You will not see much in the way of vineyards during the direct train ride Neuchâtel/Bern although you will see 'le sentier maraîcher'. paysdestroislacs.ch/fr/loisirs-actifs/a-velo…

However you will if you travel via Biel. There are vineyards from La Neuveville to Twann and a walk through them from Ligertz to La Neuveville is recommended.

To save money on transport you may wish to consider a pass. You can find details at:- www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/

Bussum, The...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
9. Re: Couvet, Neuchatel

Great , then we can see those vineyards during our Basel-Neuchatel train trip via Biel ;)

so, we decided to stay in Neuchatel 3 days. ( first two days visit Val de Travers and Neuchatel town), thrird day Murten.

Where can I check are there luggage storage in Neuchatel?

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,782 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Couvet, Neuchatel

Do you mean luggage lockers at Neuchâtel station?

Link to lockers:- mct.sbb.ch/mct/…

Link to station plan:- mct.sbb.ch/mct/infra_services-uebersicht-bah…

Get answers to your questions about Neuchatel