We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday at Neuchatel and either Geneva or Zurich

PA
10 posts
Save Topic
Holiday at Neuchatel and either Geneva or Zurich

Hello guys, I will be going to Neuchatel for a short course of 3 days. I intend to stay in switzerland for a week. Please let me know what my families and I can do in that 4 days we have in switzerland ?

I am intending to book a hotel room for 7 days in neuchatel, but would it be hard to travel to places like geneva or zurich if our hotel is at neuchatel ? We would like to travel to some must visit places in either geneva or zurich. But if our hotel is at neuchatel, would that hinder our whole travel plan? Should we stay in neuchatel for 3 days, and book another hotel closer to geneva or zurich instead? Please let me know.

What are the available public transportations we can use ?

Are taxis frequent in neuchatel ?

Are there similar holiday-inn hotels in switzerland ?

What are the budget hotels with toilet,shower in neuchatel ?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday at Neuchatel and either Geneva or Zurich

Hi,

You can definitely do day trips to either Zurich or Geneva from Neuchâtel without any problem. There are direct trains to both placesl every hour; it takes about 75 minutes to get to Geneva and 90 minutes to Zurich.

There are taxis at the station, but Neuchâtel is a small town and I wouldn't use them unless you have a huge amount of luggage. You can walk to most places in the town itself in 20 minutes or less, and there's an excellent urban bus network with buses running every 10 minutes on weekdays.

There are no Holiday Inns or other chain hotels in the town, only smaller independent hotels. These two are probably the cheapest :

http://www.hoteldelecluse.ch/

http://www.hoteldumarche.com/hotel.php

Stephen

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday at Neuchatel and either Geneva or Zurich

Your family might enjoy a trip to the thermal baths at Yverdon-les-Bains (children must be 3 and over to enter):

www.thermes-yverdon.ch/

To get there, you take the train the short distance from Neuchatel to Yverdon-les-Bains and then bus number 4 to the stop Centre Thermal. If this interests you, you can plan your whole journey on www.rail.ch Just enter your "from" point (Neuchatel or the name of the bus stop closest to your accommodation) and your "to" point (Yverdon, Centre Thermal) and it works it all out for you.

I haven't been for a while, but this was one of the last remaining baths where you had to wear a swimming hat. This may no longer be the case, but if it is still so, you can buy them at the entrance.

PA
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday at Neuchatel and either Geneva or Zurich

Would it be necessary to get a map of zurich and geneva while my family and I are travelling there?

Is there a tourist information center at neuchatel too ?

Cheers :)

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday at Neuchatel and either Geneva or Zurich

The tourist information office in Neuchâtel is in the main post office building - it's a big, 19th century yellowish stone building by the lakeside, next to the port and landing stages from where the lake cruises depart.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday at Neuchatel and either Geneva or Zurich

>Would it be necessary to get a map of zurich and geneva while my family and I are travelling there?

It's always a good idea to get a map of a city you are travelling to - at least some of the small free maps of central areas that many businesses (e.g. McD) distribute as free gifts.

6. Re: Holiday at Neuchatel and either Geneva or Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2011, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Neuchatel