We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuchatel Trips

Co.Clare
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Neuchatel Trips

Hello again,

Could you recommend some daily train outings we could take from neuchatel that would be unmissable.As we will have out 3 year old daughter with us we will stick to approx 1-2 hr trips.Thanking you for any help

5 replies to this topic
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuchatel Trips

A couple of suggestions:

- If you are going there in summer, take the boat to Murten (an hour and a half), have a meal there - maybe a picnic by the lake - and get the train back (30 minutes). There are also shorter boat trips available.

- Take the funicular up to Chaumont (bus number 7 from the town centre to the funicular) - great view on a clear day.

- There are lots of nice beaches on the lakeside - again, if you are going there in summer. The ones at Auvernier (tram number 5) and Hauterive (bus number 7) are nice - don't expect sand though, it's all pebbles. The nicest beach is at Pointe du Grain, out to the west beyond the end of the number 5 tram line, but it would be a long walk with a young child (more than half an hour).

Co.Clare
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neuchatel Trips

thank you very much for your help.we will definitely visit them,weather permitting.

Guelph
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neuchatel Trips

You could go to Avenches where there is a Roman amphitheatre. They sometimes have events happening in the amphitheatre, so you could check to see if anything is going on while you're there.

You could also go to the Papiliorama-Nocturama in Marin-Epagnier. I've never been there, but it seems like the kind of thing a young child would like. It will have butterflies and things like that.

Mentioned in this post
Papiliorama
Papiliorama
354 Reviews
Kerzers, Switzerland
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neuchatel Trips

<You could also go to the Papiliorama-Nocturama in Marin-Epagnier.>

Not any more you can't.... it moved to Kerzers (halfway between Neuchâtel and Bern) several years ago.

It's still a good suggestion though, it's an easy train ride from Neuchâtel and good for children (though maybe 3 is a bit young).

Mentioned in this post
Papiliorama
Papiliorama
354 Reviews
Kerzers, Switzerland
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
Guelph
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neuchatel Trips

Oh! Thanks neuch! That explains why I had such trouble finding it online!

I used to live in Neuchatel and I always saw signs for it when I was there, but that was almost 10 years ago! I guess I'm out of touch!

Mentioned in this post
Neuchatel
Neuchatel
Canton of Neuchatel, Switzerland
Reply to: Neuchatel Trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Neuchatel