We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

Hi all. Me and my girlfriend are backpacking across europe this spring and will be spending 3 days in switzerland (coming from Italy going to Munich). Ive been thinking about spending the three days in the Interlaken area, kind of leaning towards the Laterbrunnen Valley? I realize the hiking trails are going to be pretty soupy at this time but we still want to do some hiking. Any suggestions on where to stay, what to do, ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

Lauterbrunnen would probably be your best bet for a central location that will be snow free sooner than the higher villages. Depending on how soon you plan to go the hotels in Lauterbrunnen also tend to open for the season earlier than Wengen or Murren.

There are trails from Lauterbrunnen up to Wengen and from Grutchalp into Murren that are passable at almost any time of the year and they both have great views. Again the later in the spring you arrive the more options you will have.

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

Specifically we will be staying Arpil 24,25,26 leaving on the 27. When you say a trail from Laterbrunnen to Wengen would that mean perhaps staying in Laterbrunnen the first night, leaving for the trail the next day and spending the night in Wengen? I also should add we are fairly inexperienced hikers not looking for any too demanding. Are there any intineraries you would suggest in this area for the timeframe I eluded to? We will most likely arrive in Interlaken around 2pm on the 24th and leave for Munich on the 27th.

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

Hi Coreym,

The TA's here give excellent advice, but I thought I would say that having stayed in both Lauterbrunnen and Interlakken I would recommend Lauterbrunnen for sheer beauty. Now it must be said that both times were in either May and June/July so the weather was glorious. Be guided by the TA's on this. In Lauterbrunnen we stayed at the HOtel Staubach and I can't stop singing it's praises. Frank and his staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. But depending on the budget, our daughters also stayed in the caravan/camping ground just below the hotel in a cabin (not at the same time as my husband and I) and were quite happy with it.

The walking trails were of mixed levels and I managed them. I also took the oportunity to go paragliding whilst there and it was a highlight!

Enjoy!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

The walk from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen takes about an hour and a half going up and a little over an hour coming back down. If you find it too difficult or run into bad weather you can take the train back down as an alternative. The trail is wide and well maintained with good footing the whole way.

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

Ok cool, whn looking at the map I did'nt realize how close the two towns are. Well I am sold on Lauterbrunnen for three nights. Do you have any suggestions on a rough itinerary for the the 2.5 days we are there. Perhaps you could provide some clarification on the train trip to the Jungfrau and possible excursions to Grimmelwald or Murren. Ive been trying to figure them out but it gets a little confusing. I know that a train ticket can be purchased to the Jungfrau (is it worth the $$$), but to go further south i´n the valley there are no trains past Lauterbrunnen, so does that mean buses. I think more than anything we want to see and do as much as possible but I`m having a hard time figuring out what we can do in or limited time. So we will be staying in Lauterbrunnen April 24,25,26 any guidance and suggestions you can provide is greatly appreciated.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

Try one day train up to Jungfraujoch early. Back down and lunch at Kleine Scheidegg then train down to Grindelwald, see the village and train back to Lauterbrunnen through Zweilutchenen.

Second day cablecar to Grutchalp and walk into Murren through Winteregg. Walk or cablecar down to Gimmelwald and cablecar down to Stechelberg and bus back to Lauterbrunnen.

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

Excellent. Now I know that the trip up to Jungfraujoch is quite expensive ($130 for the early bird I believe?), but how much would the second day cost with the cable cars and bus? Another question is would our Eurail Global pass cover either of these trips. We have a 10-day global flexi pass with an extra day to use somewhere, I think it would be worth using it here if possible.

Once again mountaintopper I really appreciate your help in all of this.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

you can check fares here:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

Hi again,

There is a lovely gentle walk through the valley from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg through pastures and wildflowers and cows complete with the sounds of their bells and the bubbling stream alongside much of the path. From here if you want you could take the cablecar up to Murren, the village above. From here you can take another cable car up to Schilthorn. Or you can do the mountain walk back to the village above Lauterbrunnen and cable car down to Lauterbrunnen. I have done the cable car to both Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn and both are amazing. I would say you must do the Jungfrau....unless it is clouded in and you will be wasting quite a lot of money. I don't know if you can buy tickets on the day...perhaps mountainhopper can advise you. And do you know, it doesn't matter which you choose, you definitely will not be disappointed. For me it is the essence of Switzerland.

The other site I love is MySwitzerland.com which has lots of great advice.

dubai
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Switzerland - Interlaken/Laterbrunnen?

I want to know the paragliding activity in kauterbrunnen? How much and whats the name of operator :) thanks..