We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss pass vs swiss flex pass

Virginia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Swiss pass vs swiss flex pass

My family will travel from Zurich to Luzern on 15th August, travel to mt.Riggi on 16th, to interlaken on 17th, to zermat and jungenfraujoch on18th,19th and back to zurich on 20th. Does 8 day consecutive pass means 8 days of rail travel only or can the trip to Mt.Riggi using the boat, cog wheel train transportation counted as travel day. because if it is I can get the swiss pass, if not I have to go for the flex pass. Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss pass vs swiss flex pass

Using mountain transport, whether with the usual 50% discount or with 100% coverage, counts as a travel day with the STP flex. Thus the flex is usually not a good idea.

Note that both the STP and STP flex only give a 25% discount for Jungfraujoch.

Have fun.

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss pass vs swiss flex pass

Swiss Travel Passes are valid for trains, postal bus services, boats - see description for instance at https:/…swiss-travel-pass.html - open "Advantages at a glance" and at downloads "Map of validity"

Be aware that holders of Swiss Travel Pass get only 25% discount on tickets for the quite expensive trip up Jungfraujoch, 50% on trains and cable cars above Zermatt. All of Rigi transportation is covered.

Redo the maths - might be that some combination with the less expensive Half Fare Card (CHF 120 for 30 days) with for instance Saver Day Pass for long trips in a day is slightly less expensive.

Lett me add that such short trips are not ideal - pass cost per day is higher, and you take chances with possible bad weather days.

Virginia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss pass vs swiss flex pass

Thank you Ian1291 and jm2cents for your responses. Does this mean that if I get day saver passes for Zermatt and Jungfraujoch, then I would get a better deal...more than the 25% off?

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss pass vs swiss flex pass

Your cheapest option would be the 1 month Half Fare Card.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss pass vs swiss flex pass

I believe the Day Saver Pass covers 50% of the Jungfraujoch above Wengen. Please correct me if I am wrong!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss pass vs swiss flex pass

Hi

Sorry, you are wrong. The SDP does not give a discount on mountain excursions such as Jungfraujoch. However, it does cover those excursions covered 100% by the GA (eg the Rigi).

Edited: 22 July 2018, 04:56
Reply to: Swiss pass vs swiss flex pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted