We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

jacksonville, fl
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

Hello, we are two gals traveling to Amsterdam on October 30th for 3 nights. As such, we need a room with 2 beds and a larger size room would be nice. We are looking at the 5 star properties, only. We, of course, want something in a great, lively area that's not sleepy or romantic, but still very top notch. Is a canal view a must, as this is our first trip to Amsterdam? Budget is up to $500/night. Here are a few choices that I've narrowed down, but am open to suggestions.

Grand Hotel Amrath (not sure why this is priced so much less than other 5 *...is it older or run down or something?)

Junior Suite (nice size) for $327 usd/night

W Hotel (this seems hip and fun, but probably no view?)

Wonderful Exchange Twin - $371 usd/ night

Fabulous Bank Twin - $437 usd/night

--Anyone know the difference between bank and exchange?

Luxury Suites Amsterdam (this looks amazing and a nice room with canal view and two KING beds vs. twins for the others, but how is the location and is it lively?)

Royal Suite with canal view (incl breakfast and airport pickup) - $478/night

Pulitzer is similarly priced at 397/night for the standard room. Waldorf base room at $500/night Look at Sofitel?

I looked at some of the smaller, ornate looking hotels, like De L'Europe and Ambassade, but worried they will be sleepy and/or couply....

We have SPG and Hilton Honors status and amex platinum, so trying to leverage a good deal.

These are all the non-refundable rates, so making the right decision is crucial. Thanks so very much for the expertise!

Hotel Sebastian's
Hotel Sebastian's
#4 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
Mauro Mansion
Mauro Mansion
#5 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
#7 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
22 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

You can also consider:

- The Dylan

- Sofitel The Grand

- Conservatorium

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

The Amrath is often found at a lower price than some other five stars. Will you get a lot more by paying a lot more? Depends what that lot more is.

The Amrath does have good reviews and a free mini bar in the room. There is no need to pay more to have a quality fun stay.

But if you want someing more WOW more upscale then the reviews are going to be your best friend.

There are many other quality five stars as well that you have not listed.

Most people on a first visit to Amsterdam especially are spending very little time except for sleeping in their hotel room.

A suite overlooking dam sq at the Krasnapolsky with breakfast would be my bucket list stay.

jacksonville, fl
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

Thank you, and why is the Krasnapolsky your bucket list?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

Well to be honest it's my most recent stay. And of maybe 25 visits it's my fav hotel of all that I stayed in. It's also the most iconic and IMO most historic Amsterdam hotel. A grand old hotel newly and totally and very well redone.

Great bar, breakfast room, dinner room with a Michelin star.

And I love the energy of staying right on dam sq while in a quiet room with little to no street noise.

Most five stars in Amsterdam are fine hotels. Most are well located with top notch service.

I am not sure though with what you are wanting. The best most upscale most expensive stay? Greatest biggest room size? The best central location? A location not so central?

Room size , a nice central easy location. and lack of noise issues would be my biggest concerns if budget was not a major concern.

My guess is that you are overthinking this a bit

Edited: 25 April 2018, 22:20
jacksonville, fl
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

Haha, definitely overthinking That's what I do. Can you just pick for me? I don't know that a suite at the Kras is going to be $500 or under....

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,379 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

You can always slum it here https:/… although their cheapest junior suite is €522 per night :-)

Re the W - there are two buildings, Exchange and Bank on the opposite sides of the street. So named because one was a former central telephone exchange and the other was the forem Kas Bank (literally cheese bank).

The Bank in on e one side on the Singel canal so will have canal view rooms. If you are SPG platinum then you probably can't go wrong with either.

>>Luxury Suites Amsterdam (this looks amazing and a nice room with canal view and two KING beds vs. twins for the others, but how is the location and is it lively?)<<

It is on a fairly quiet street but walking distance from lively areas.

You can get the Kras quad room, so with 2 large double beds for €1139 or €1282 with breakfast included and John will tell you how good their breakfast is.

If you have SPG also have you looked at the Renaissance?

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

“the other was the forem Kas Bank (literally cheese bank)”

Hahaha, Ronaldo, this one made me laugh out loud ;-)

The Dutch word for cheese is “kaas”, not “kas”. The former Kas Bank had absolutely nothing to do with cheese at all. The word “kas” has different meanings. It can mean “greenhouse”, but when used in relation to money or the word bank it means “cash” or “till”. So actually Kas Bank means something like cash bank.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

Possibly check out the American Hotel. Nice old deco styled place in an area called the Leidseplein.

Stayed here for a week a few years ago and liked it. Pay a little extra for a room with a balcony. Close to the museums. In the lounge there are pictures of all types of famous people who have stayed there.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

Is that then the root of "kassa"?

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)

Yes, it is. Kas and kassa basically mean the same thing; a place to store money. Both words have the same origin/etymology; http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/kassa

Reply to: Please kindly help on hotel decision (5*)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted