We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

Cairo Governorate...
3 posts
Save Topic
Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

We are moving from Egypt back to the United States with our dog as excess baggage. On the way home, we would like to spend three days in Amsterdam, but the Netherlands requires a wait period of three months after a dog's blood titer test for rabies. We don't have three months left in Egypt. Does Schiphol airport have a quarantine facility, and how can we find out the daily rates? I have tried looking everywhere online for this info with no success.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
10 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,336 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

No it does not. they have animal facilities for pets in transit but not for extended periods. Someone asked this a short time ago.

Don't you think this would be quite stressful on your dog anyway? Bad enough that they have to be crated and cargo handled but then to be kept away from you for three days?

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

Ron, it’s only a dog, it doesn’t have feelings, doesn’t feel pain or stress, and certainly wouldn’t require any special considerations reguarding it’s safety or needs. Entertainment must come first.

😭😡😫😱

Cairo Governorate...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

Please don't judge unless you know the whole story. I very much care about my dog and am terribly stressed about this whole move back to the states after serving our country overseas for years. My husband wants to get rid of the dog because of all the complications. I am simply looking for solutions that will allow me to keep my dog and this is a terribly difficult time. If it were up to me, yes, I would travel straight home and never stress my dog out again.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

“we would like to spend three days in Amsterdam

Why don’t you fly straight home with your dog and come back some day to spend those 3 days in Amsterdam?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

+1 to #4 unless the 3 month period is also for transit unless there r direct flights fr Cairo back stateside. And as an expat American may I add thank you for your service and good luck with this mission.

Edited: 26 April 2018, 06:37
Maryland
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

My sincere apologies for my facetiousness. However you beloved pooch deserves better. Maybe you can split the journey, his self can stay in Amsterdam and you can continue on with your animal family member if he cannot be persuaded to continue on directly for the best interest of Mans Best Friend.

I also extend my thanks to your family for their sacrifices.

Edited: 26 April 2018, 08:30
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,511 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

it is a moot point anyway as schiphol doesn't have the facilities to help you. your choices are both of you blow off the 3 days in Amsterdam or you leave hubby to play and you head home..or vice versa. i know you feel pressure because the hubby sounds like he can take it or leave it with the dog. you obviously love the dog. i hope it works out for you,

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

Deleted

Edited: 26 April 2018, 20:49
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,336 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

I wasn't judging you was just asking you. I don't own a dog myself.

Even if it was possible it might cost you a small fortune. I think anything over 4 hours transit in Schiphol was something like €150 extra. 3 days might bankrupt you.

Mentioned in this post
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Cairo Governorate...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport

Thank you everyone for your help. The dog and I are staying together on this trip home!

Reply to: Dog quarantine facilities in Amsterdam airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted