We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a bike for a one day stay in Amsterdam

Save Topic
Renting a bike for a one day stay in Amsterdam

Hi,

I plan to spend one whole day in Amsterdam with my girlfriend, we will arrive early morning on Saturday and plan to leave late in the evening.

Could anyone share his experience with renting the bike? Like which companies offer fair prices and conditions?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
7 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a bike for a one day stay in Amsterdam

It is really inadvisable to rent a bike to get around the center unless you are a skilled superhuman cyclist already. Just walk, the center is small enough.

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a bike for a one day stay in Amsterdam

Juan Carlos, once you arrive, you will see why renting a bike in the heart of the city is not recommended.

Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a bike for a one day stay in Amsterdam

Why not? I dont see the reason...

Europe
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a bike for a one day stay in Amsterdam

I see the reason every day.

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a bike for a one day stay in Amsterdam

Google or see YouTube.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,469 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a bike for a one day stay in Amsterdam

Omg another tourist on a rental bike in an already overcrowded center 😭😭😭

* u can't look around and drive and when u do cuz everything's so nice u r a danger to urself and others

* too many tourists don't respect where u can't ride

* they dangerously disrupt the bike traffic flow with their wobbly slow speed, erratic moves and sudden stops in bike lanes

* most are casual or infrequent riders who lack the coordination, reflexes, and control to participate in bike traffic which is primarily for transportation and not recreation

* on the main streets the 'competition' for crowded shared space between bikes, trams, cars, trucks, buses and pedestrians smoothly works in harmony like a symphony with an invisible conductor which tourist bikers can't see or safely follow

... need i go on?

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
85 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a bike for a one day stay in Amsterdam

We were in Amsterdam for 12 days and rented bikes to mainly ride outside of the city. When we were in Amsterdam, we walked. Central Amsterdam is very compact and very crowded and between street cars, cars and people, it is just dangerous.. There is no reason to have a bike for 1 day unless you are riding it outside of the city.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Reply to: Renting a bike for a one day stay in Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;