We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current beer and food prices

BLACKBURN
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Current beer and food prices

Hi

Me and my wife are going to Amsterdam in October and we are trying to work out how much spending money we should take. We like to eat out and try local dishes as well as downing a few drinks.

So can anyone recommend any ood places to go for a meal, as well as any good bars where we wont get ripped off.

Many Thanks

Ross

Ps what is the price of a pint of lager?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,510 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current beer and food prices

Beer works out at around £4.50 per 500ml (so less than a pint).

Coco's is my bar of choice and they have a happy hour 5-6 and 10-11 including coctails for the ladies.

Stay out of the bars in Dam Square if you don't want to get riped of. Mostly elsewhere drinks are around the same price - expensive!

There are thousands of restauarnats and hundreds of different cuisines here pehaps if you gave basic info like budget per person, what type of food and you location.

No pint in me reommenidng a Mongolian place 10 km out of town whose speciality is deep fried monkey brains if that's not your thing.

Mentioned in this post
Dam Square
Dam Square
11,681 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current beer and food prices

Steak houses are superb, Argentinian, Brazilian, Chilean etc.

It all depends on your budget, with beer at €4-5 a pop its not cheap to drink, but some of the sports bars on Dam Square will charge you €6-8 a pint so be careful!!

You could get a cone of chips (which are excellent by the way esp the one on the bottom of the Damrak, think it has picture of a pi**ing boy outside!)

We tend to eat cheaply, with the odd meal out and have a few beers as well and will spend about €50 a day as a rough guide per person...

Hard to say how much you need to take without knowing how much you can afford to spend! - its all relative.

Mentioned in this post
Dam Square
Dam Square
11,681 Reviews
Damrak
Damrak
412 Reviews
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,420 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Current beer and food prices

" think it has picture of a pi**ing boy outside!)" -

yes, the place is called mannekin pis!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current beer and food prices

we just got back and if you are like us you can't live on fries and the choice is usually a last minute thouight as you look at the menu where you are having a beer. I might get hammered for this but.....

We found Leides SQ to be reasonable and fun with lots of choices and the area for about .5 mi around had loads of places to eat. We don't eat if a person is in front trying to pull in. There is a Febow right there if you must alwasy eat cheap.

I usually found that the more people around the cheaper and better. But prices are pretty stable in Ams.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Amsterdam Airport...
Schiphol, The Netherlands
5. Re: Current beer and food prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 02:15
;