We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liberation Day in Amsterdam 2012

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
75 posts
38 reviews
Liberation Day in Amsterdam 2012

My wife and I are Canadian and will be in Amsterdam for this celebration. Can anyone recommend the best place or area to be for this holiday in the city? We would love to pay our respects and toast a few with the locals.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,492 posts
226 reviews
1. Re: Liberation Day in Amsterdam 2012

Hi there,

It's quite lowprofile, and not a full public holiday. Most likely place for a free concert & party is Museumplein, don't know the details yet.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Zeeuws Vlaanderen
Level Contributor
510 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Liberation Day in Amsterdam 2012

Liberation Day is celebrated all over the country, the so called Bevrijdingsfestivals. Each province has one. The one in the province of Noord Holland will be held in Haarlem: http://www.bevrijdingspop.nl/ Half an hour by train from Amsterdam. In Amsterdam itself the celebrities are quite low profile.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
355 reviews
3. Re: Liberation Day in Amsterdam 2012

The biggest part will be the music festival, it's only once every 5 year that it's a national free day and those times there are also military parades etc.

Are you also in town on the 4th? It's our Remembrance Day. At 8pm there will be a minute silence in the whole country and at the Dam Square in Amsterdam there will be ceremony and people, including the Royal Family, will put flowers at the Monument.

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
75 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Liberation Day in Amsterdam 2012

Thank you for all the information. We will be in the city for the 4th and now know where to go to pay our respects to those who sacrificed for us.

I will check out Haarlem for that date.

Cheers

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,422 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Liberation Day in Amsterdam 2012

You may want to consider getting to Dam Sq on the 4th where the remembrance ceremonies and wreath laying takes place with the Royal Family in attendance. This year I believe the atmosphere will be even more palpable than normal as the public will be even more than usual enveloping the Royal Family in a blanket of love and support due to the tragic accident of Prince Friso.

6. Re: Liberation Day in Amsterdam 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:42