We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much cash [Euro] should a traveller bring for 10 days?

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
How much cash [Euro] should a traveller bring for 10 days?

We are coming in May 2012 to Amsterdam. Guide books and articles are varied as to how many restaurants and venues require cash over credit card and debit.

We saw that most places accept card purchase over $10, is this true?

We are looking for a mix of attractions, a few nice nights out but mostly just trekking around enjoying the city. We have a full kitchen in apartment, allowing cost saving on food and snacks.

We will be getting the Iamsterdam city card.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much cash [Euro] should a traveller bring for 10 days?

Just use ATM's.

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much cash [Euro] should a traveller bring for 10 days?

I am aware of the atms-problem is we are from Canada and our bank PC financial[internet bank] does not guarantee their cards will work there. If I use the credit cards we get service charged and interest rates up the wazoo.

I guess , what we need to know is if any other Canadians have use the atm system with a PC card.

If my card doesn't work I am not positive about debit transactions either, thus the issue of cash.

Edited: 11 March 2012, 12:56
Saskatoon
Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much cash [Euro] should a traveller bring for 10 days?

Thanks for the input by the way.

Germany
Level Contributor
586 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much cash [Euro] should a traveller bring for 10 days?

In my experience the supermarkets (AH) don't accept credit cards so you'll need cash for all your grocery shopping

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much cash [Euro] should a traveller bring for 10 days?

Thanks again, Has anyone used the Jumbo Supermarket on Westerstaat? Can you tell me do they allow debit or credit card purchases, as well as cash back?

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much cash [Euro] should a traveller bring for 10 days?

2-4, can you find out from your bank what systems their cards work on? For example:

Cirrus

Plus

Maestro

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much cash [Euro] should a traveller bring for 10 days?

That is the problem, they think it should work with Plus or Cirrus, but won't confirm, thus my dilema. I don't want to show up and my cards don't work and be at the mercy of the outrageous creditcard charges when I can by ahead of time. Just sucks traveling with a load of cash.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much cash [Euro] should a traveller bring for 10 days?

As a data point, I had no problem with any of my Plus cards for three accounts, from two different banks. Yes, occasionally an ATM didn't like my card, but there are ATMs everywhere. I just tried another bank.

You're right to be cautious. Be sure to tell your bank and credit card companies that you will be using your cards overseas. I usually call 2 days before my departure.

Your choice, of course.

Enjoy,

chuck

9. Re: How much cash [Euro] should a traveller bring for 10 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:43