We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike hire in Leiden, Netherlands

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bike hire in Leiden, Netherlands

I'm looking to hire bikes in Leiden - pick up and drop off nearish to the station. Tandems would be ideal. We plan to cycle out to the tulips. Any info? Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike hire in Leiden, Netherlands

ns.nl/reizigers/…fietsverhuur.html

+

http://translate.google.com

:-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike hire in Leiden, Netherlands

Hi Cecile, thanks so much for your help. Is there any value in booking ahead (and is this possible?) - we wouldn't want to turn up and there were no bikes left! Or am I missing the point and there are tonnes of bikes? Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike hire in Leiden, Netherlands

I imagine they probably have plenty of normal bikes, except on special days (festive days and such). But don't know about tandems..... By the way are you sure you can handle a tandem well enough to ride it in Dutch traffic? On some of Leiden's streets the buses ride quite close to the bikes, and there will be plenty of other bike riders speeding around as well. It can be really fun to ride a tandem. But it takes a while to get used to the weight you need to steer around.

A phone number is mentioned on that site, our country code is +31.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 07:41
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike hire in Leiden, Netherlands

According to their own website, you can book ahead by calling them (it's not possible to book online). Opening times are: Mo - Sat 05.05am – 01.30am, Sun 08.00am – 01.30am. The place is called 'Fietspoint Oldenburger' and they are located in the central train station. Coming from Amsterdam or Schiphol Airport, your train will most probably arrive at platform 8 or 9. Go down the stairs and follow the signs to the "LUMC" exit of the train station. Once you're outside, the rental place is immediately at your right.

Cecile is right about central Leiden's heavy traffic. Please be careful when biking on a tandem anywhere in the city center. However, on your journey from the train station to the tulip fields you'll mainly cycle in designated bicycle lanes where bikes are safely separated from motorized traffic.

Some suggestions on which route to take: www.kustgids.nl/bollenstreek/bollenroute.pdf or fietseninzuidholland.nl/content/content.asp… (download the PDF; it's in Dutch, but there's a map included as well)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike hire in Leiden, Netherlands

Thanks so much Cecile and Waezk - a great help, I really appreciate it. Thanks for the tip on traffic, and I really appreciate the maps Waezk - very useful.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
603 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike hire in Leiden, Netherlands

Is there any chance to get a English version for the above.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike hire in Leiden, Netherlands

No English translation but you can use translate.google.com

Nina

Leiden
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bike hire in Leiden, Netherlands

Probably a little bit to late, but I've heard that www.bizonbikecompany.nl in Leiden has great bikes too. They are situated by de Meelfabriek.

9. Re: Bike hire in Leiden, Netherlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2015, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Leiden
Recent Conversations