We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee Shops!!

Galway, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Coffee Shops!!

I will be going to leiden for work purposes very shortly. Now as a non national or tourist would I be able to visit a coffee shops and buy and smoke weed. I am aware of the law brought out in 2012 regarding non nationals not able to avail of the coffee shop experience, but the more I read I find out that the laws have been relaxed. can someone please help me find out what is the situation.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee Shops!!

the law that was passed only applies to towns around the borders...tourists can still visit coffeeshops in AMsterdam and probably leiden as well since it is not a border town.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Galway, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee Shops!!

When you say boarder town, a town on the boarder with another country.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee Shops!!

yes, border town along belguim and germany

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee Shops!!

Well the law was passed nation-wide but only some border towns stick to it. Many cities decided to ignore the law because they feel it will drive people to illegal street dealers and cause bigger problems.

Street dealers tend to try to make customers swap to harder and more addictive drugs. And are harder to keep an eye on than coffeeshops.

Edited: 04 February 2015, 06:26
Galway, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee Shops!!

Thanks for your help Steve ftw. Will enjoy my time in Amsterdam.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee Shops!!

More info... tdpf.org.uk/blog/cannabis-policy-netherlands…

Oh - and it's not ONLY border towns that enforce a residents-only policy. But I doubt Leiden is one of them. The map in this older article may not be up-to-date anymore but it shows green dots (residents-only) cities in various parts of the country. thestonedsociety.com/2013/…

Edited: 04 February 2015, 06:44
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee Shops!!

Recommended places? Ones that you sit and relax in?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee Shops!!

Coffeeshopdirect.com

9. Re: Coffee Shops!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2016, 13:15