We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base in Leiden for Keukenhof

Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Base in Leiden for Keukenhof

My mom and I are going to visit Keukenhof this year at end of March for 3 days. As both of us have already visited Amsterdam before, and I saw there is direct bus going to Keukenhof from Leiden Centraal Station, so I was thinking will it be better to stay overnight in Leiden instead of Amsterdam?

Is Leiden worth to pay a visit and stroll around?

Thank you

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
42 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base in Leiden for Keukenhof

Leiden is a lovely little city and well worth a stroll around the canals and surrounding streets. There are several museums (including one in a windmill) that you can visit if this is interesting to you and there are numerous decent cafes and restaurants to eat in.

The bus to Keukenhof is very straightforward, but I'd recommend going early (before/around 9) if you can, as the queues for the buses can be long after this time. Its not a problem as they are frequent, but it does sometimes mean waiting around for a short time. The journey from Leiden is relatively fast as well, so its a good option.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base in Leiden for Keukenhof

It is not better but different. Both Leiden as Haarlem has the option for a express bus to Keukenhof and there are numerous other towns where you can stay. see 9292.nl/en for all public transportation options.

Leiden is a lovely city to walk around and the busroute towards keukenhof is along the flower fields. At the end of March the daffodils and the hyacinths can be in bloom in these fields (It will be too early for tulips outside).

When you are visiting during Easter Weekend (26, 27 and 28 March) make sure that you arrive before 9 am at Keukenhof otherwise you will be in long traffic jams towards Keukenhof. Expect long lines for the bus back during Easter weekend all the busses are in these traffic jams so there is no time table possible. When you are visiting on other days timing won't be as crucial and busses will be general on time.

Nienke

Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base in Leiden for Keukenhof

Thank you guys for the prompt reply! Really appreciate that :)

Unfortunately Im going on the easter weekend, 28th of March, I thought Monday will be less crowded as the weekend. But at least now I will be expecting crowds and will be there earlier.

I think Leiden will be the place we based in as it will another lovely town we could explore.

Thank you all!

4. Re: Base in Leiden for Keukenhof

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2017, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Leiden
Recent Conversations