We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best cities for beer?

Florida
5 posts
Save Topic
best cities for beer?

my fiance and I are going to be in Belgium for 2 days coming up this March and want to know which cities to look at for a "beer day". We love Belgian beer and would love to devote a day to it. We'd also like drinking it more than spending a day learning how its brewed. Brussels is a definite stop, as we have strongly considered Leuven. Are there any other good towns (large Antwerp, or Bruges) or small (Chimay, Hoegaarden) that we should be looking at? Thanks for any help!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,523 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best cities for beer?

As Brussels is the biggest city, it offers the most beer cafés, e.g. A La Mort Subite, Pouchenellekelder, Beermania, Estaminet Toone, Delirium (2000+ beers from all over the world), In 't Spinnekopke, etc.. As well as a brewery (Cantillon), and the Brewers Museum in the Grand' Place, plus the one at nearby Grimbergen. See See trabel.com/brussel/brussels-cityofbeer.htm

Leuven and Brugge also have breweries you can visit, but you certainly don't have to go there, or to Chimay, just to drink "their" beer. It is hard to get to most of the abbeys by public transport - I presume you won't be driving if you want to drink. Chimay is down near the French border, no. 73 in this list www.belgium-mapped-out.com/breweries.html If you want to visit the abbey's café, the nearest station (about 4 km away) is at Couvin, about 2 hrs from Brussels by train, changing at Charleroi-Sud.

I would recommend choosing which cities you want to visit, e.g. Brussels and Brugge, as "beer" doesn't give you any means of choosing between them, especially if you don't particularly want to see the brewing process.

Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best cities for beer?

thank you for that, it was helpful!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best cities for beer?

Most of the large cities in Belgium are great for beer.

For small towns I would consider Poperinge and Watou in West Flanders where there is a a high concentration of breweries and great pubs!

If you base yourself in Brussels you can easily get to Poperinge on the train.

Piglet :-)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best cities for beer?

Antwerp is the home of Kulminator - a beer specialty bar that many "beer geeks" consider the best in the world. Paters Vaetje, right next to the cathedral, is also world renowned.

According to Beer Advocate there are a couple of very good places on the Grand Place in Mons as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best cities for beer?

And other beer geeks go for Westvleteren, which is about 50km from Lille and not far from Poperinge.

I may be doing a road trip over Easter to check some of these places out.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
65 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best cities for beer?

Any city in Belgium has these marvellous places to degustate beer the right way. As I was born in Bruges and live in Ghent for 15 years now, I wanted to point out these in Bruges, a bit nostalgic.

When passing through Bruges, go to the pub Brugs Beertje: http://www.brugsbeertje.be/index_en.htm; regarding to your personal preference, the lady of the house will help you to choose a beer. It's a very popular place, but if you can find a place to sit, enjoy the atmosphere there.

Or also in Bruges you might try De Garre van Corné, between the Belfry tower and the city hall. virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Belgium/Pro…

Enjoy your stay in Belgium!

Kurt

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best cities for beer?

I concur with most of the comments above. Any large Belgian city will have great bars, particularly Brussels, and Bruges. I agree with K76 Ghent's recommendations for Bruges... Brugs Beertje and De Garre (hard to find if you don't know where to look!! Down a small alley that many people miss.). Hard to go wrong with Brussels. Just Google best pubs/bars in Brussels. Several will make everyone's top ten. There are many near the Grand Mart in Brussels. I highly recommend visiting Cantillion brewery in Brussels! This is a living museum dedicated to brewery Lambic beer! A Belgian classic.

8. Re: best cities for beer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:42