We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels or brugges or both?

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
82 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels or brugges or both?

Hi guys, my wife and I are planning a eurotrip this May. Tentative plan is to visit Belgium for 2 days between stops in Amsterdam and Paris.

Given that we only have 2 days, is it feasible to visit both Brussels and brugges? If not, which one should we go to? We just want to appreciate sights and belgian food and beer.

What is the best train for the route Amsterdam-brussles or brugges-Paris?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,333 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels or brugges or both?

I'd suggest just doing one - Brugge (Bruges).

You can get the hourly IC (Intercity) train from Amsterdam Centraal to Antwerpen Centraal and connect there for Brugge. These trains are non-reservable and you do not need to book them in advance, so you have some flexibility about when you travel. You can also book the Thalys high-speed train between Amsterdam and Antwerpen, but personally I wouldn't bother.

You should, however, book Brugge to Paris (change at Brussel-Zuid), though the Thalys website. Tickets go on sale three months before departure and the earlier you book, the more likely you are to get a bargain. You should book 'Any Belgian Station' to Paris, this will give you a trip on the IC train from Brugge to Brussel-Zuid, and a guaranteed seat on the Thalys high-speed train from Brussel-Zuid to Paris Nord. On the Brugge-Brussel leg you can travel on any IC up to 24 hours before the departure of your Thalys (again, the IC trains are not reservable), so you could spend some time in Brussel too if you wanted.

Edited: 03 March 2012, 21:08
Quezon City...
Level Contributor
82 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels or brugges or both?

Thank you so much for the tip. Very detailed re train rides!

We will try to have a brief stopover at Brussels after Bruges, if time permits.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels or brugges or both?

I concur with WireWiper's comments above. Having visited both places one year ago, I don't think you can go wrong with either but Brugges is special. I would go back anytime I could get the chance. Look for Brugs Beertj and De Garre (this is hard to find southwest of the Grand Mart down a small alley.).

4. Re: Brussels or brugges or both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 17:35