We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transit in brussels for 9 hours

Nizhny Novgorod...
2 posts
Save Topic
transit in brussels for 9 hours

hello,

i will transit in brussels for 9 hours...i would like ask suggestion about what i can do and should do during the 9 hours of transit?..is it possible for me to visit atomium?..it would be better if i can do some sightseeing and eat belgian food

how long does it need to travel from airport to city?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
156 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transit in brussels for 9 hours

You can take a train, which will take about 20 minutes to get you to the center of Brussels. If you would like to visit the atomium, you can take a train to the center and then the metro to the Atomium. This will take you about 45 minutes (depending on how quick you find everything).

As you have limited time, I would suggest visiting other things in Brussels. You could go see the Grand Place (Grote Markt) and eat something there, for example.

Nizhny Novgorod...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transit in brussels for 9 hours

thanx a lot for your suggestion

can i visit more than 1 place?.. if excluded all the unnessary time in airport i think i have approximately 7hours in brussels city

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
156 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transit in brussels for 9 hours

Depends on what you like? Museums don't seem to be a good idea, as you have limited time. You can also visit the Sablon. This is also a square with some nice shops and restaurants. Again, depends on what you like to see in a city...

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,036 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transit in brussels for 9 hours

7 hours is not all that limited, you could easily do a complete circuit with one of the HoHo buses from near Gare centrale - but bear in mind that these obviously don't take you into places that are pedestrian-only, such as the Grand' Place, so you would have to visit this on foot either before or afterwards. It's only a few minutes on foot from Gare centrale where you would arrive from the airport.

To know what Brussels has to offer that would particularly interest you, see under "Things to Do" on the left-hand side of this page or google something like Brussels sightseeing.

Canton of Geneva...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transit in brussels for 9 hours

Agree with Pieter above, I would skip the Atomium and head to the center of Brussels. The Grand Place / Sablon areas are much more interesting and offer better food choices.

Here is a little walking tour from the Sablon down to a traditioanl bar near the Grand Place, with a stop for chocolate along the way that you could try - bestofbrusselsblog.com/2011/…

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
952 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transit in brussels for 9 hours

Another more manageable option is to visit Leuven from the airport. It is a really nice compact University city with lots of options for eating, drinking and sightseeing. There are two trains an hour from the airport to Leuven and they take about 17 minutes. The train station is 10 minutes walk from the centre but there are a number of bars and restaurants close to the station as well,but i would be a shame to miss the historic centre.

I think that you would see more in Leuven and pick up the atmosphere much more quickly with less hassle than going to Brussels in the time that you have.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transit in brussels for 9 hours

you have plenty of time to do what you want, i dont care so much for the atomium i would try the Magrite gallery or the musical instrument museum a short trip to th Cinquintenaire (metro merode ) and the GP of course easily do able in five or six hours if you push

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transit in brussels for 9 hours

Hi!

I ll be in Brussels in my way back to Paris from Brugge. I ll be at the train station around 4 pm and my train will leave at 7 pm. Is The Grand Place/Sablon a place to discover in a few hours? Is it close to the station?

Thank you

Gustavo

9. Re: transit in brussels for 9 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:42