We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in and around Cascais

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Things to do in and around Cascais

Hi, we are a family with 3 boys (10,12,14) spending 4 days in Cascais at the end of October. I dont want to hire a car. Does anyone have any options for day trips from Cascais please?

Thanks in advance,

Seamus

7 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,273 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in and around Cascais

Lisbon for sure. There are trains every 20 minutes between Cascais and Lisbon and they cost only €4,30 return, takes 35 - 40 minutes alongside the river. Once in Lisbon the whole city is at your disposal.

If it is a nice day, take bus 403 from Cascais to the Cabo da Roca. That's the most westerly point of mainland Europe and a popular place to go. The 403 runs every half hour, every day.

Further along the same bus route is the town of Sintra, which is high on many tourist agendas. There is masses of information you can easily find about all the castles and palaces to be found there. There is also bus 417 direct between Cascais and Sintra once every hour.

Edited: 19 October 2017, 23:04
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in and around Cascais

if the weather is in your favour there's a pleasant coastal walk to be had passing boca do inferno and beyond and although i've only walked this route there are places in cascais to rent bikes and a cycle path along the same stretch of coastline.

cascais-portugal.com/attractions/boca-infern…

Cascais, Portugal
Level Contributor
366 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in and around Cascais

Casa da Guia is a favorite place for lunch with wonderful views. You can also walk the paradao from Cascais to Estoril right along the water.

You can also look at the Cascais Facebook page to see wat other activities might be going on. There are festivals and other activities many weekends.

If you’re here on Wednesday or Saturday, the Mercado is fun to visit.

I also agree with the other ideas suggested.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
827 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in and around Cascais

Hi Seamus,

Definitely go to Lisbon and Belem, which is part of Lisbon closer to Cascais. Hopefully, it will be easier to go inside the Tower of Belem in late October than in late April - the lines to the Tower and Jeronimus Monastery were very long when we were there.

Sintra - no doubt about it! Your kids will love the gardens of the Pēna Palace, the Moorish Castle and magical Quinta da Regaliera.

And I like the suggestion of doing the coastal walk and see Boca do Inferno. The walk is as lovely as Salthill Promenade in your home town (I miss Galway, Salthill and gorgeous Connemara so much - you live in a really beautiful place...).

Check out some Boca do Inferno pictures:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Hope your kids will like it.

Enjoy your trip!

Nora

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in and around Cascais

Thanks Nora. Hopefully it will be like Galway in the sun!

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
827 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in and around Cascais

I hope so too... I love Galway in the rain too😊

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
264 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in and around Cascais

Depending on their interests, your kids might enjoy the electricity museum near Belem. You will certainly want to spend a day in Sintra,and the kids will particularly like the Quinta da Regaleira. There are many battlements, tunnels and caves in the garden that kids like. It would be a good idea to bring flash lights.

Reply to: Things to do in and around Cascais
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted