We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo Car rental - Rental car insurance extortion

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo Car rental - Rental car insurance extortion

Has anyone experienced a rip off from Alamo Car rental - Lisbon airport? We rented a car for 18 days on line for our trip. Reserves with 30 Euro deposit - total cost about $270. Also purchased an Allianz collision policy in advance - $9 per day - covers everything - used many times for many years. Arrived at counter - said they would not accept our policy, and wanted $1200 (!!!!) for insurance, or a $3000 hold on our card. Called for the manager - wouldn't come out. Called corporate - "nothing we can do". We left and had to rent elsewhere at significantly higher rate (but they accepted our insurance policy). Never heard of such a thing. Total rip off..................

3 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo Car rental - Rental car insurance extortion

I am glad you walked away. So many people pay up and then complain. Well done.

Hardly a day passes in these forums without someone making an observation on the practices of car rental companies that border on the criminal and still people use them.

I am so happy that i do not drive and therefore renting a car from these thieves never enters into my transport options.

Iowa
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo Car rental - Rental car insurance extortion

unfortunately many of the rental car agents get paid incentives (commission) if they sell the damage waiver - and at some depots they seem desperate and even prepared to damage their rental brand in the process. Even in the US it happens, we've had several reports from customer who have rented from Enterprise.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo Car rental - Rental car insurance extortion

It's not just Alamo who are guilty of this. We booked a car with Dollar through Rentalcars.com and we had paid for additional insurance here in the UK. Rentalcar.com accepted payment with a debit card but when we got to the counter in Lisbon the agent refused payment of the deposit (yes a massive amo0unt!) by debit card, refused a credit card from another member of my party as they said the card had to be in my name, refused to accept the prepaid insurance and demanded that we pay for all the additional insurance to them at which point they accepted payment by debit card! Rentalcar.com state (in very small print!) that cash and debit cards are not accepted but yet they accepted my original payment by debit card thus ensuring that I was caught out by Dollar. I have yet to find any genuine good deal when renting cars - let me know if anyone out there does!

Reply to: Alamo Car rental - Rental car insurance extortion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted