We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon - Granada

4 posts
Save Topic
Lisbon - Granada

My daughters orchestra group is going to Lisbon, Faro and Granada next June for one week. I would like spend one more week after Granada. Havent visited Portugal or Spain before, so what are some options in the area? Stay in Spain for one more week or go to Morocco?

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Likely To Sell Out
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,090 Reviews
from US$89.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
705 Reviews
from US$89.50*
Special Offer
Lisbon Super Saver: 2-Day Sintra...
303 Reviews
from US$161.10*
US$179.00
3 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon - Granada

It is a fair trek from Granada to Morocco. You could take a train to Malaga and then fly to Tangier or Casablanca but you would be giving up a day of your time to do that and, I imagine, making your return journey longer.

Seville and Madrid are both popular places to visit, you might consider splitting your time between them.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Tangier
Tangier
Tangier-Tetouan Region, Morocco
Casablanca
Casablanca
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon - Granada

Since you have posted to a Lisbon Portugal forum, I think that you might have reaction that says "GO back to Portugal!". I am retired teacher that taught the Age of Discovery to fifth graders for nearly 25 years. Yes, we loved Granada on our one trip to Andalusia/Spain numerous years ago.

BUT where do we love to return to even after I retired? It is Portugal. We are leaving on November 1st for our sixth trip to Portugal and I feel that I have only scratched the surface of the great things that you can do in Portugal.

I guess the one thing that keeps us returning to Portugal are the warm and welcoming people of Portugal. Do take a look at UNESCO World Heritage site http://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/pt to give you some inspiration. You have so many options from visiting megalithic sites, Roman ruins, Templar castles, fabulous wine regions, and even the great Atlantic coastal regions of Portugal including even dinosaur tracks!

We have become so fond of the Alentejo that spans from the Atlantic Ocean to Spanish border that we are returning for our third visit to this area. We are staying in historic hotels (Pousadas) with one being in Beja (former convent) with Beja called Pax Julia by Julius Caesar. From Beja, we are driving up to the largest man made lake in Europe being Grande Lago Alqueva before we end up in Estremoz which is one of the famous three marble towns of Portugal (other being Borba and Vila Vicosa) to stay in a former castle. From Estremoz, we are planning to day trip to Marvao which just might be a former Roman watchtower (much older Celtic site) where the locals say your can see the backs of eagles as they take advantage of the thermals. Sorry can't tell you if this is true until later in November...

I have many other stories of great visits to Portugal but won't bore you with them.

Everyone has the perfect place to visit and travel is a personal thing. Hubby and I happen to love our many experiences in Portugal. Hubby has taught around the globe since 1992. You can't go wrong returning to Portugal.

Edited: 21 October 2017, 09:21
Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Granada
Granada
Spain
Spain
Europe
Alentejo