We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Racism?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
22 reviews
Racism?

Hi Everyone, I'm planning a trip to Europe in May 2016 and I'd love to visit Lisbon. I'm just wondering if racism is a big issue there. As a solo black female, will I be given a hard time at restaurants or hotels because of the colour of my skin? I know it's 2015, but I'm just a little worried. Living in Toronto, I've never even had to give this a second thought. I apologize if this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find anything on the subject.

114 replies to this topic
South Carolina
Level Contributor
69 posts
235 reviews
41. Re: Racism?

You know I used the incorrect verbiage. Portugese did not originate slavery in itself. However, Portugal was responsible for starting the slave trade across the Atlantic between Africa and the Anericas and back to Europe. That is historical fact. My point was saying the Portugese started globalization does not take into account it was the slave trade and the immense money made from the trading of Africans that allowed Portugal to become a world power and displaced MILLIONS of Africans from their homeland.

"Prince Henry the Navigator of Portugal sent a trading expedition to Africa, to explore the little known continent, in 1441. By 1444, a ‘cargo’ of 235 enslaved Africans had been brought to Lagos in Portugal. The Portuguese were using enslaved Africans on sugar plantations in Madeira, a Portuguese island off the west coast of Africa, by 1460".

South Carolina
Level Contributor
69 posts
235 reviews
42. Re: Racism?

What important to remember is without the free labor there would not have been an expansion. Yes they explored and exploited the resources of that country.

It is what it is and does not change the fact that the Portugese started the the slave trade across the Atlantic. And that is not an "alternative fact"

London, United...
2 posts
43. Re: Racism?

I'm black from S.tome and Principe (former Portuguese colony), lived all my life in Portugal (currently living in the UK) and i can assure you there is a lot of Racism and prejudice in Portugal, normally towards coloured people, or and people coming from poorer countries than Portugal (Brazilians,Romanians etc) in many ways Portuguese mentality it's absolutely "Ancient!!!" for an instance, they still call black people monkeys to this date and suggesting us to go back to our countries of origin, this in a time period when you have more white Portuguese living in Angola than the number of Angoleans living in Portugal in absolute numbers!

And also a former colony they notoriously borrowed money from during recession times, so having growing up in Portugal and witnessed all this and facing all kind of inequalities I would say Portugal legislation and the Government is not racist, but a large number of the public is ignorant and racist, it's also true that many are racist towards other white Europeans!

and you'll find that if you meet a Portuguese person who is not racist towards blacks he would hate Brazilians or Indians or East Europeans, English, Norwegians or all of the above, they will always hate some foreigner of their choice!!!

Austin, Texas
1 post
44. Re: Racism?

What do they think of Americans of Latin American descent? I am of Mexican (mostly

Spanish origin) and Portuguese descent, and I look like a darker white person. Would I face any prejudice in Lisbon? I've visited often when I was young, and do not recall any racism there. I experienced some in Spain, but not really Portuguese only being told I look somewhat moorish. Can anyone help me out here, as I plan to return to a pátria to teach after I graduate

Portugal
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
83 reviews
45. Re: Racism?

The city of Lisbon is full of people of all races!

Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
103 reviews
46. Re: Racism?

"The city of Lisbon is full of people of all races!"

Which, in fact, means nothing - the mere existence of people of different races in a given location doesn't imply that they aren't the subject of racism. Witness Zimbabwe, South Africa etc. And look back at the various Genocides that have happened - this was racism against the indigenous people.

The EU, Amnesty International, the UN - many bodies highlight the ongoing racism within Portugal against the Roma. (see theportugalnews.com/news/…41220 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32419952 - http://sapientia.ualg.pt/handle/10400.1/4275 - and more, they're not hard to find).

I've experienced racism in various parts of Africa, but, as a white person in Portugal, I've never experienced it here. But I don't think we should simply brush off potential problems without accessing facts - as the report in the last URL says "Firstly, all investigations have in common the fact that they have made clear that the «myth» of the Portuguese «non racism», so widespread among the population is nothing but a myth – there is racism in Portugal."

Jackson, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
47. Re: Racism?

Obviously you do not speak from the experience of being discriminated against in Portugal. There is a problem with racism there.

Edited: 03 June 2017, 10:16
Jackson, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
48. Re: Racism?

Obviously you do not speak from of being discriminated against. There is a problem with racism there.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
106 posts
49. Re: Racism?

love2succeed, tell what is that problem then? Discrimination exists everywhere I went, including in Lisbon and the US, but. I never found Portugal particularly racist.

Belo Horizonte, MG
1 post
1 review
50. Re: Racism?

Whilst I didn't find the portuguese to be cold or rude, many of them did seem a bit "desconfiados", that is, not trusting foreigners much, at least on a first glance.

Reply to: Racism?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted