We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Racism?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Racism?

Hi Everyone, I'm planning a trip to Europe in May 2016 and I'd love to visit Lisbon. I'm just wondering if racism is a big issue there. As a solo black female, will I be given a hard time at restaurants or hotels because of the colour of my skin? I know it's 2015, but I'm just a little worried. Living in Toronto, I've never even had to give this a second thought. I apologize if this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find anything on the subject.

66 replies to this topic
Portugal
Level Contributor
4,587 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Racism?

"Whilst I didn't find the portuguese to be cold or rude, many of them did seem a bit "desconfiados", that is, not trusting foreigners much, at least on a first glance."

It depends on the areas or regions and whether people are accustomed to socializing with people of other races or ethnic groups. Many Portuguese are very suspicious ("desconfiados") of gypsies, for example...

Edited: 23 June 2017, 09:00
1 post
Save Reply
52. Re: Racism?

If you went, what was your experience?

1 post
Save Reply
53. Re: Racism?

My partner is Portuguese (and looks it) but has lived in the UK since he was a small child. All his family are Portuguese. I am blonde, blue-eyed British (obviously not Portuguese!). We suffer appalling treatment whenever we go there by so many. Rude, hostile even aggressive sometimes. I was deliberately pushed off a bus once even though I was just standing there quietly, not harming anybody. My partner loves his birth country and visiting his relatives, but feels unable to go 'home' because of how he's treated and made to feel. We just cannot understand what the problem is.

Lisboa - Doca de...
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
54. Re: Racism?

hmmmm... , there are really some strange posts here, from people with only 1 or 2 posts

Save Reply
55. Re: Racism?

I'm an American, and I remember an Algarve woman calling me a rube for "Probably never having eaten fresh fish." Well, the United States has two oceans, and I happened to live near one. She did not much like the idea of my being a writer either. She lived on some kind of a fig plantation - probably filled with employees from Portugal's colonies. Lisbon is also the only place I've ever been mugged. Fortunately the dude was too lazy to chase when I ran. Maybe he ate too many figs in his spare time. You know, maybe Americans and Northern Europeans are gentrifying the place, but the rank and file tourist usually deserves to spend a vacation free of bigotry. FYI, Fado seems to be hardly more than the Lee Greenwood of Portugal, little more than a dream of an uncomplicated past. Everybody should wake up and realize that life is messy; their culture is not inherently better than anyone else's.

Edited: 21 October 2017, 01:10
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Racism?

>>hmmmm... , there are really some strange posts here, from people with only 1 or 2 posts<<

Plus 1

Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Racism?

It could simply be that these people strolled, somehow, across the thread and felt compelled to comment?

No-one raises an eyebrow from the very very many first time posters railing against car-hire firms.

If these are deliberate attempts to "stir the pot", for some reason, they've taken a pretty long view.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
58. Re: Racism?

Or maybe these people simply were unlucky to have bad experiences and decided to be vocal about it, or saw what they expected to see from their prejudices. I experienced racism in the "civilised" countries of Northern Europe and America (and in many other places as well), but I never felt compelled to comment about it since I know better than to generalise.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Racism?

Absolutely no worries at all! Guarantee! More than 20% of inhabitants are Africans related!

Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Racism?

"Absolutely no worries at all! Guarantee! More than 20% of inhabitants are Africans related!"

As I said in Post #46, this has no relevance at all - there have, for example, been genocides by Africans, ON Africans. How is it possible for one person to "Guarantee" that there should be "no worries"? I'm happy Danão appears never to have experienced racism here, but it doesn't mean that no-one else has.

People have come to TA to express their first hand experiences of racism here - either there is some form of "conspiracy" to paint Portugal in a bad light, or they have expressed their truth - let people read this complete thread, and they can make up their own minds.

Reply to: Racism?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted