We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Sassetti Pedestrian Footpath

USA
Level Contributor
724 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Sassetti Pedestrian Footpath

Hi, I would like to walk from the old town to Pena castle via the Villa Sassetti Pedestrian Footpath. How easy is it to locate the footpath? Is there a street name or landmark that signifies the beginning of the trail?

I would also like to visit Quinta da Regaleira, could I squeeze that in or should I approach that from a different starting point?

On the topic, any interesting hiking trails to Monserrate Palace or is it best to travel there by road?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Monserrate Palace
Monserrate Palace
1,587 Reviews
Sintra, Portugal
4 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,008 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Sassetti Pedestrian Footpath

If you are coming from Pena Palace, then take the lakes exit, cross the road towards the parking lot, cross it and follow the path, at some point you have a kind of wood balcony, the path down to Sassetti is around that area. You can walk to regaleira from the end of the trail, just reach the main road and turn left.

No there's no trail to Monserrate, if you are doing this now in autumn I doubt that you'll have time to walk all this and still get the palace open.

USA
Level Contributor
724 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Sassetti Pedestrian Footpath

THanks, Ptnov. I'm actually thinking of climbing up from the old town (as opposed to descending from Pena.) Is it easy enough to find the start of the path from down below? Thank you.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,008 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Sassetti Pedestrian Footpath

Not so easy to find...if you manage to find this place, then the path going up goes to the entrance of the trail https://goo.gl/maps/wNW2M6D6XBF2

Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Sassetti Pedestrian Footpath

I find this maps.me trail map helpful for walking around Sintra

https:/…walking-sintra.pdf

The entrance you are looking for is from Largo Ferreira de Castro (marked "parque das merendas") - I have a pin at bus stop at this location, check it out in google street view. Sassetti is near Labirinto marked with a pin as well.

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Largo
Largo
1,135 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Reply to: Villa Sassetti Pedestrian Footpath
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted