We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lighthouse near Sintra

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
528 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
Lighthouse near Sintra

cubsur: I read your post from 2009 detailing how to get to Cabo da Roca from Sintra. Could you possibly post an update or is it pretty much unchanged. I'm interested in seeing the lighthouse. Is there more than one in the area? Thanks.

Senga

4 replies to this topic
Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lighthouse near Sintra

We visited Cabo da Roca in 2015. It wasn't a pleasant experience since we arrived amid four big tour buses. People were climbing over the low fence to get better pictures of them at this spot. Hubby nearly got wacked in the head by this woman with a selfie stick!

We loved the lighthouse at Cabo Espichel along with Santuario de Nossa Senhora do Cabo. Such a different experience. The church is lovely and well worth a visit. Yes, we had a rental car and were staying in Sesimbra. It was peaceful and I think only about three other couples that were walking about when we were there. The story of apparition of the Virgin Mary made Cabo Espichel an important pilgrimage site. It was peaceful and much better experience for us.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,861 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lighthouse near Sintra

Travel information is almost unchanged except that bus 403 between Sintra railway station and Cabo Da Roca now runs every 30 minutes every day from about 9am. Check times at www.scotturb.com which by the way are no longer available in English.

There is just the one lighthouse I know of.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
21,093 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lighthouse near Sintra

You can not visit the Lighthouse, only the surrounding area, which is the Roca cape.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
528 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lighthouse near Sintra

Thanks for the responses. We didn't actually want to visit the lighthouse, just take pictures, so that would suit us fine. Unfortunately we won't be renting a car so, while your suggestions sound perfect, we'll have to make the best of what's available. Thanks again.

Senga

Reply to: Lighthouse near Sintra
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted