We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port area Chios Town

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Port area Chios Town

We are booked for May in a property 50m from the Port and thinking maybe to change to Mesta as there is a reported 'spike' in migrant arrivals to Chios. Can anyone on the island or who has been in last months tell me if the port area has the same crowds of displaced families/tent camps/laundry everywhere as we have seen in Pireaus or are the new arrivals moved to the accommodation camp when they get to Chios? Simple question about best place to stay. Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port area Chios Town

Ok, so I worked it out myself with the help of media photos and Google satellite and changed from the Chandris Hotel to an amazing place in Mesta. Would rather support this island and still go than cancel. All the people we have spoken to online re accomodation, car rental etc have been so incredibly friendly and lovely, really looking forward to seeing Chios.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,742 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port area Chios Town

You could have left the booking as it was, the refugees are the opposite end of the long port area. I will be there next week, staying inside the castle with some of the refugees the other side of the castle wall. Am I worried? No.

Enjoy your stay in Mesta & I hope you get to explore a little to other villages :) I will be staying in Pyrgi, Volissos & Chios town, I'd better start packing!

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port area Chios Town

Yiassas: Where are you staying inside the castle area? I've looked at FROURIO Apartments and they gave me a wonderful offer. The apartments look very nice and are in a very nice part of the Old Town just a short walk to everything but still out of the tourist zone.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,742 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port area Chios Town

I am staying at Frourio, had several very friendly chats with Stephanos, I will let you know what it's like when we've been there, arrive on Sunday.

I have no idea what you mean about it being 'out of the tourist zone', the castle is an attraction for tourists :)

Edited: 04 May 2017, 22:05
concord nh
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port area Chios Town

Yiassas: Most accommodations are along the waterfront outside the Castle zone which has remnants of the "Old" Chios Town.

True, the castle is part of the tourist zone but most tourists stay outside that area.

Anyway, let me know how your stay at Frourio goes. It looks very nice, traditional and the price offered for an October stay is very good.

Still, I have Mesta, Volissos and then Chios Town scheduled but am still working on a final plan on my time on Chios.

Edited: 05 May 2017, 02:19
Reply to: Port area Chios Town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chios
Recent Conversations