We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summary of our trip :)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Summary of our trip :)

First of all, absolutely loved it & will be back!

We spent appox an average of 125 euros a day which included accommodation, car hire, petrol, taxi from airport, food, drink, souvenirs, entrance fees & cigarettes! We brought back some Chios Ouzo, Ouuzo with Masticha,& for other diabetics or dieters out there I also got sugar free Masticha toffees, caramels, chewing gum & boiled sweets :) Also got some mastello, I'm hooked on the stuff!

We did 2 nights in Pyrgi, 2 in Volissos & 3 in Chios town, but had 8 days in total as we arrived in Pyrgi on the wednesday before 7am & flew out the following wednesday at 19.35.

The south & the mastic villages took up the first two full days, we managed to fully explore Pyrgi as we didn't have the car until 6pm on the first day. Next day we covered Olympi, Mesta, the Mastcha museum, the Olympi Cave (Spileo Sykias), the black beach (Mavro Volia) & lunch was at Emborios.

On the friday we moved on to Volissos, Avgonima, Anavatos on the way & a coffee break in Sidirounta. The next full day was the northwest loop, village stops, Agio Galas & the old ladies episode, Limnia port & Limnos beach for a late lunch.

Sunday was move on to Chios Town day, but before leaving we went up to Volissos Castle & a last walk around the village.

Got into town, had something to eat & drink, checked in, unpacked & showered ready to explore a bit. A short wander around some of the castle area, then dinner. This was when we saw the refugees gathering when the huge ferry Ariadne came in. As far as we are aware no one 'escaped', but hey, who knows!

Monday, the last day of our car hire, so up the east coast to Lagada, very different rocky & barren landscape compared to the rest of the island, but Lagada was a little haven of greenery as you went down into the village.

We also visited the Kyveli Sanctuary (Homer's seat). This was the only place we saw some offensive behaviour, much like we had seen on other occasions around the Peloponnese & elsewhere. 2 car loads of families in the car park, the children just dropping their trousers to do the obvious, yuk! These were not refugees though as many would think, they were as we had seen before, Bulgarian gypsies. Is it awful we are not shocked any more? We have seen too much of it :(

Back into town & returned the car, that evening & the next 2 days we were shopping, wandering, exploring, eating, people watching & taking photos.

As I said, we'll be back, extremely friendly people (the owners at Volissos were crying when we left!) & no bad meals, some exceptionally good! That just leaves the problem of shifting the extra kilos I put on, lol!

Sorry the photos are not ready yet, Flickr is taking FOREVER & I don't want to post the link until all the albums are uploaded, I will post as soon as they are done, but bear with me, I'm doing them in between washing, shopping, normal life getting in the way etc :)

10 replies to this topic
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summary of our trip :)

Sounds wonderful & I am now even more convinced I must go there. You covered a lot of ground in 8 days, but that is where advance research pays off so you can see so much but without rushing. Looking forward to the pictures!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,935 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summary of our trip :)

I am so happy you did the trip and eager to read more :)

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summary of our trip :)

Looking forward to the photos! Goodness, I've seen gypsies very occasionally but never doing that! Yuk!

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summary of our trip :)

Sounds like you had a great trip. Looking forward to the pictures too. I went to Chios a couple of times in the past and 1 thing that struck me was when afterwards I talked with a Greek captain and told him about my travels to his island (he was born & living on Chios) he said: "We welcome tourists like in any other part of Greece but in fact we don't need tourism on Chios."

But I found it a very interesting island and met some wonderfull people there.

As for the gypsies, probably can't be any worse than the ones I have seen in Kato Achaïa in the Peloponnese where their children raided every day the hotel to jump in the pool and harass everybody around. Has to be said that (at that time) a whole district of the town was inhabited by gypsies. And tourists were not welcome there as i could experience then.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summary of our trip :)

I loved reading your trip report Yiassas. It makes me think we need to return to Chios. We too recall some incredible hospitality and very good meals.... looking forward to your pictures.

Karen

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
895 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summary of our trip :)

Interesting report Yiassas!

I discovered a gin,grapefruit and masticha cocktail in the Peloponnese last year it was heavenly!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summary of our trip :)

Photos are done, on new thread so you don't have to keep checking on here:)

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summary of our trip :)

Nice report. I can't wait for my trip to Chios this October. I am already thinking about all the great Greek Food and Alcohol, the villages, mountains, beaches, locals, archeological/historic sites.

I've been planning this trip since late last year after my annual October trip to Greece. I got a fantastically low price from Boston (USA), booked rooms for Athens, got my flight to Chios and all I have to do is finalize accommodations on Chios.

The more research and reports from TA members just makes me wish October would get here quicker but I don't want to rush our summers here in the northeast of the US where our summers are short and winters are long.

Still, I can plan, dream and fantasize about Greek, waiting for October.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summary of our trip :)

I'm not sure if I added the info about airport shopping, it's simple, don't! I took a look while we were waiting to board & a bag of sugar free mastic sweets I had bought for 2.90 euros was 4 euros at the airport!

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Summary of our trip :)

Buy any local products in villages and towns rather than the airport or other-tourist-oriented areas. You'll get better deals and maybe better quality from locals and you'll have a much better experience dealing with locals. Just pick up a few words or phrases in Greek and you'll make instant friends and probably get free samples too!

Reply to: Summary of our trip :)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chios
Recent Conversations