We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Service in Chios

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Bus Service in Chios

Hi everyone, I'm hoping for some information about the bus service in Chios. I am travelling to Chios in August with my husband and 4 children, staying 3 nights. We are hoping to avoid hiring a car on this part of our trip to save money, and currently looking at renting a house in Kalamoti. We would like to visit Mesta, Pyrgi, the beach and hopefully a Monastery. Does anyone know if we will have any luck relying on buses? Or should we really just consider hiring a car?

Thanks in advance!

9 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Service in Chios

With such a short time there I would definitely hire a car, buses will be too limiting having to go by their schedules, you would find it difficult to fit in all you want to do. Also, you would be tied to how much, or how little, time you had in each place. We were there in May for 8 days with a car & rarely saw a bus :(

By the time you add up all the bus fares you may as well hire a car & have the flexibility.

Here's some info,

www.ktelchios.gr/index.php…

Edited: 29 June 2017, 19:06
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Service in Chios

Thanks for your response! I need to do some searching...car hire is super expensive for more than 5 people, and that's why we were trying to avoid it. On mainland Greece we are hiring a people mover for almost 5 weeks and have struck a really good deal (almost sedan price), but when you are hiring for just a few days it's crazy prices, like more than double a sedan. So any tips on that also welcome!

I really do prefer the idea of having a car though, just means we can go where we want for how long we want...no need to stress about missing buses etc. Hmmmm...things to consider. Now I'm looking at the cheapest accommodation option to justify the car hire cost! Tips on that also welcome!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Service in Chios

Try getting a quote from this one for their 7 seater if you haven't already,

http://www.rentacarinchios.com/en/

Accommodation - are you planning to stay in Chios town?

Just to whet your appetite here's some photos from May,

https:/…

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Service in Chios

Check out Peter Vassilakis car hire Services, Imperial Car Hire or vassilakisnick@yahoo.com for car rentals. All offered me very good rates but I did ask for 7 + days rental which may make a difference in costs rather than 3 days.

Still, if you really want to see Chios or any other island or the mainland the best way to experience them is by renting a car. It will pay for itself many times over by giving you the opportunity to see many of the more traditional and non-touristy areas.

As for accommodations there is a huge selection depending on where you are staying. For just 3 days I would recommend Chios Town which offers more options for shops, markets and tavernas, even though it's not as characteristic or Greek as many of the smaller villages. It will offer you more after spending a day traveling around the island and returning for a nice night out.

I am staying in Chios Old Town at FROURIO Apartments and think it will give you a more "Greek Experience" since it's in the old part of the town but still a short walk from all services.

Edited: 30 June 2017, 02:01
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Service in Chios

crazyh, read their details, not such a huge selection for a family of 6 :)

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Service in Chios

OK . . . I was basing my review on a car rental for one person and got outstanding prices for October, off season. It may be more costly for a large family on HIgh Season visit.

Still, a rental will give you options and freedom that limited bus service will not. If you are going a long distance to explore the country/island then it may be worth the extra cost to really get to explore and see what that country/island is all about.

I would hate to go such a long distance and just see the touristy stuff and not the true and authentic parts of the country you are visiting.

It's like going to America and just seeing Disneyland or Graceland and not exploring the true America, the back roads, small towns/villages, mountains, forests, lakes prairies, etc.

When traveling one wants to see the real parts of the country not the Disneyland, Water Worlds, Miniature Golfs or Mega-Malls that you can find anywhere.

Edited: 01 July 2017, 02:07
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Service in Chios

Thanks for all your comments and info. I agree it's much better to have wheels to get around as you please, and be able to get the out of reach places too. I haven't had a chance yet to book a car, but my husband has been in touch with the car rental place mentioned above and hopefully we can get something suitable and not too costly. I think an initial cost was around $400AUD for 3 days! So much money!! It's really crap for big families that a people mover tends to cost more than double a sedan!

That said, on our last trip 4 years ago, we got so much more out of it by having a car. Some of our fondest memories are the places, especially churches and monasteries, that we found out of the way and not accessible by public transport.

Thanks again for your time in responding :)

Epe, The Netherlands
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Service in Chios

Chandris rent a car have very good service and a good price!

And visit Volissos, its beautiful..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Service in Chios

Hire a car. I wanted to avoid it as well as my eyesight isn't that great, but it is totally worth it. There are buses out of the station in Chios Town, but I had a car for 50 euros a day in high season and it was worth every penny. The roads are good and lots of signs, I didn't use GPS and barely used a map. And this from someone who doesn't drive a lot. Try Dora at rentamoto.kovas@gmail.com. She is amazing! Pyrgi, Mesta and Olympi and the Cave of Olympi are incredible. Also try Volissos, and I drove all around the coast of the island, it is stunning. I especially loved the coastline of the north east, the drive from Anavatos to Volissos. If you are scared of heights, you're in trouble, the mountain range is very high, and the roads can be a bit harrowing, twisty, turny, but drive slow and you will be fine. Not a lot of traffic. Absolutely stunning views.

Reply to: Bus Service in Chios
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chios
Recent Conversations