We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Conditions on Chios

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Current Conditions on Chios

I'll be arriving on Chios early October and for the most part have done my research on where to stay, where to go, day trips, food, etc.

Anyone been to Chios recently and if so what's the situation there? Any problems with locals and refugees? Any idea where most of them are being housed and/or staying?

Is the economic conditions improving for locals. It's the height of tourist season so I imagine things are busy. Hopefully by October tourism will be reduced and I'll have a more "Greek" Experience.

3 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Conditions on Chios

There is little to no problem with locals and refugees that I have seen in Chios this year. The Greek coastguard has been supported by other European countries now and I am guessing that this has discouraged the traffickers from using the route to Chios.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Conditions on Chios

John: OK . . . my research has shown no major problems and everything should be fine. I hope the refugees can find peace and safety and get to a place that will help them. I know the people of Chios have been very helpful and courteous but they also have limited resources to handle the issue and are doing the best they can.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current Conditions on Chios

I just got back from Chios August 16, spent a lovely 2 weeks there. I didn't see any refugees whatsoever. Apparently occasionally boats were still arriving down south, but I was all over the island and saw nothing. It is a wonderful time to go - because of the perception of a crisis, tourism has plummeted and the gorgeous beaches are often almost empty. Unlike a lot of Greek islands that are super crowded this year, Chios is a gem of unspoiled and free beaches, easy parking, and restaurants and taverns where you can get seated and served right away. I would highly recommend the island. And the locals are super friendly and happy to see you! Go, go, go!!!

Reply to: Current Conditions on Chios
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chios
Recent Conversations