We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chios Airport

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Chios Airport

I'll be flighting in/out of Chios this October. From photos it appears to be a larger than most airports on other Greek Islands. Any idea of how busy it will be that time of year?

I know the smaller airports on islands have much quicker check in and security lines. I have a 6:40 in the morning flight to Athens. Is 1 1/2 hours ahead of departure enough time to check in and security?

8 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chios Airport

It's not big at all, you will see when you arrive :)

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chios Airport

Chios Airport is not really a big airport. There is a small cafe and a small local products shop and that's it.

That early in the morning there will probably be your flight only I think as international (charter) flights mostly arrive much later than that.

Olympic use a Dash 400 on this route so there will be a maximum of 70 passengers and I think in October there could be less than that. Check in is up till 30 minutes before departure, so I think that 1 hour before departure could well be enough.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chios Airport

Nicksy/Yiassas:

I've flown to Chania and Astypalea from Athens. The airport in Chania wasn't very large and the one on Astypalea was even smaller. No problems arriving or leaving. Very quick, efficient and safe.

The flight to Astypalea had a total of 4 people on it, including me which immediately gave me an idea of how crowded the island would be. It wasn't! (Yeah!)

However, Chios is one of the larger Greek Islands so I am anticipating more people but not enough to be a problem, probably similar to Chania, maybe?

My flight leaves Athens at 11:40 in the morning so it shouldn't be that crowded, especially off-season.

I think 1 hour ahead of departing Chios should be good . . . it will give me an extra 30 minutes of sleep!

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chios Airport

The airport in Chios is quite small, not as large as that in Chania. Even though it's a largish island, it doesn't have many flights. I fly out of Mytiline a couple times a year and it has much higher volume due to the number of tour groups from the UK and the Netherlands. Nevertheless, it's also a small airport. But even when it's been crowded with charters, the Aegean check in has always taken less than 10 minutes.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chios Airport

Zak: OK, I think I've got a handle on what to expect, but it's always nice to get feedback from people who have been there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chios Airport

Never had any problems arriving and departing Chios. Airport check-in takes 10-15 minutes at most. In October there will not be lots of charter flights. If you are staying in Chios Town most hotels are a few minutes taxi ride from airport.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chios Airport

Sharonm: Thanks . . . I've gotten good info here so am all set. Getting closer to my departure at the end of Sept/early Oct.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chios Airport

Chios airport is small. Arrive half an hour beforehand, that's all you need. I just got back after a wonderful 2 weeks there, if you need any other advice, email me. I would highly recommend renting a car and if you want an automatic, you might want to get one ahead of time, though I managed to get one in August, but had to do some calling around. I recommend Rent a Moto, email Dora at rentamoto.kovas@gmail.com. She is awesome!! have fun it is a splendid and gorgeous island!

Reply to: Chios Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chios
Recent Conversations