We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chios

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Chios

Will Tavernas and services be open mid May.

10 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,742 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chios

See my reply on your other post,

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18939…

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chios

Chios Town will certainly have everything open since it's the largest town on the island. Even if you stay in one of the smaller villages there'll always be shops, markets and tavernas open for locals which may give you a more "Greek" experience than a touristy one.

Just depends on "busy" you want it . . . lots of touristy stuff or more of a local-flavor.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chios

Thank you for the information, will certainly head to the untouristy villages. Your response has been helpful.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chios

As stated mid-May will be off season and while many of the small villages will be very charming and full of character they will have limited services available for tourists, but enough for locals and maybe you to be happy.

However, Chios Town, especially the Old Town area may be a good place to base yourself for day trips throughout the island to experience the Mastic Villages in the South and the lovely villages and areas in the north with time spend in the middle of the island for Anavatos which is a must. You can then return to Chios town and have all the services at your beck and call.

Still, it depends on what you want . . . a small village with lots of character but not many services or Chios Town (Old Town area) with innumerable options for services.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,742 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chios

Crazyh, you haven't even been there yet & you don't normally experience Greece in May!

Yes, there are a very few places in the old town, mostly to eat or drink, the vast majority of everything is in the main part of town.

Almost all villages will be quiet ( that suited us fine), but we always found somewhere to eat & drink, in some places only the one option, regardless we didn't have a bad meal anywhere! Beaches were deserted apart from some occasional spots, so peaceful for a walk. Our visit to the cave was exclusive, only saw one other family & they were arriving as we just finished. Very few visitors in the Mastic museum, again, made for a better time & could do it at our leisure :)

I think the only place that felt more or less deserted was Lagada, a long harbor front with a good number of cafes, tavernas & bars, but almost all closed :( It was pretty though & we had a nice walk.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chios

Crazyh - afraid I must echo what Yiassas says.

I have been researching Chios myself, as you know, & have noticed you keep giving advice as if you know things from personal experience, when so far I believe you (like myself) only have research to go on. I would not presume to give advice based on MY research as it would not be fair to people looking for first hand knowledge & they could be mislead into thinking I was familiar with the place. If you feel the need to share your research then please make it clear this is the angle you are coming from. Enjoy your trip.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chios

Tsipouro/Yiassis:

Very true . . . I have not gone to Chios yet. I'll be there in October. I based my opinion (and it is only an opinion not actually being there) on prior experience on other Greek Islands off season and from research and talking to my accommodation owner.

I'll be careful in the future about recommendations if I haven't been to a place and make sure it's just an opinion based on experiences elsewhere, research or from communication with locals.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chios

If anyone needs first hand advice on Chios, email me. I was there for 16 days and just got back and its all fresh in my mind. Amazing place, highly recommended!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chios

Haven't been there in mid May, but have been in early June. It was quiet then and without a car, bus service was limited to southern Chios (Mastic villages). Karfas was the most busy beach area, Mesta and Pyrgi were mostly open. Chios town was very busy with locals mostly, and other than tavernas, all shops closed for afternoon siesta. You will love this island... one of my all time favourites. I hope this helps.

Karen

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chios

Thanks for the info. We go mid May am looking forward to visiting Chios.

Reply to: Chios
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chios
Recent Conversations