We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Spetses

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Athens to Spetses

Am looking to travel from Athens to Spetses but in the most pleasurable way possible.

I have done some research but looking for some confirmation of this. Would the best way be to get a taxi from Athens airport to Kosta, then get a watertaxi from the Port of Kosta to Spetses? I understand this is the more expensive way of doing it, but I do not want to be on a ferry for a couple of hours with a lot of people. Thank you!!

8 replies to this topic
Norwich
Level Contributor
188 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Spetses

Have you considered the helicopter option?

Amherst...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Spetses

Wow, you could be breaking a world's record! Kosta is definitely the closest spot on the mainland to Spetses. If you want more pleasurable, how about a limousine? Stop along the way at one of the lovely restaurants that overlook the water!

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Spetses

I was thinking of explaning how to get there by bus but I won't. Going by bus is also several hours and there are other people also on the bus.

Edlesborough...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Spetses

Assume you know that Kosta is 111 miles from Athens, and a taxi would take nearly 3 hours? That would be like getting a taxi from London to Bournemouth .... and it's a lot of time to spend trying to communicate with a greek taxi driver who will want to have a good talk about Brexit, the financial crisis in Greece etc etc. The 'ferry' from Pireaus is quite fast (I think it's a hydrofoil) and takes 90 mins, which isn't a lot of time to spend with 'other people' - I'll be on it myself on Tuesday next week!

Edlesborough...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Spetses

whoops, sorry, the boat takes 2 hours 20 mins to Spetses, not 90 mins :) - but I think I'd still prefer looking out over the sea, and watching the activity at intervening island ports, with a drink in my hand, as opposed to trying out my Greek attempting to put the world's economic problems to right with what would no doubt be a friendly taxi driver eager to chat ....

Norwich
Level Contributor
188 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Spetses

We did a morning ferry from Spetses to Piraeus a few weeks ago. It took 1hr 45 mins. We liked the drop off/pick up at Hydra and some of the other people on the ferry were actually quite nice!

Norwich
Level Contributor
188 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens to Spetses

Some of them even smiled at us!

Edited: 30 June 2017, 20:59
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens to Spetses

@lovingreecesince86, depends on which boat - some takes 1h50, the others 2:45 to 3:05...all of them are not ferries, but speed boats. I heard flyingcat is faster and more 'luxurious' than flying dolphin. Maybe then a flyingcat would be an option for @traveladvice 2017?

I travelled by speedboats a couple of times in Greece, and I really don't see why choosing long travel by taxi+boat over them? They are much faster than ferries and really comfortable.

Reply to: Athens to Spetses
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Spetses