We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch out for traffic!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Watch out for traffic!!

I had read the tourist information about Spetses being car-free, except for six taxis. This did not prepare me for the reality. There are more than a few cars on Spetses, and there are more than a few thousand motorbikes, quad bikes and motor scooters. Together they make for an unpleasant environment. There are almost no footpaths, so dodging traffic is a constant challenge for any pedestrian. Traffic jams were not uncommon on narrow roads, not designed to deal with the realities of Spetses in 2014.

The hotel manager seemed surprised when I said that I found the island over-run with traffic. She insisted that motorbikes were not allowed on the roads accept mornings and afternoons. Clearly, she was relying on her own car for transport, and had not tried to walk five minutes down the road for many years.

If you are happy to hire a motorbike yourself, then all will be well. If not, think again. Spetses may not be the right place for you. certainly, I regretted having to stay there because I like walking and that is a no-no on Spetses.

3 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watch out for traffic!!

That's my main memory of Spetses. Motor Bikes. Less frightening than 'traffic free' Zermatt that is full of quiet electric carts zooming everywhere, but a close 2nd on my scariest streets in the world list.

Edited: 19 September 2014, 05:57
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watch out for traffic!!

One of the noisiest islands in Greece. You cannot escape the traffic and the ugly noise, even in the middle of the night or even if you hide at the very back of the hotel. It's terrible.

Dorking
Level Contributor
552 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watch out for traffic!!

We were on Spetses in June and it was very quiet. Very few hire vehicles in the road . Saw lots of hire shops but island didn't have many visitors then .The season has shrunk according to hotels.

Reply to: Watch out for traffic!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Spetses