We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunbed prices

West Midlands
Level Contributor
87 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Sunbed prices

Just back from a week in Skiathos, and a bit mystified about the prices charged for sun beds on the different beaches. Single traveller a visit to Agia Eleni cost me 5€ for one bed, Agia Paraskevi had to pay for 2 beds at a cost of 8€, not too impressed with that at all. Another family of 3 arrived nearby so I offered them the spare bed which they happily took. Along comes the guy again and tried to charge them for 3 beds! The only beach to charge me 4€ was small Aselinos.

As a solo traveller I feel I always end up paying more for accommodation which I understand to a degree, but on the beach towards the end of the season, not at all.

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
Agia Eleni Beach
Agia Eleni Beach
514 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
Agia Paraskevi
Agia Paraskevi
Skiathos, Greece
Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,799 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunbed prices

"Umbrella and two beds - €8"

Umbrella and one bed used - still €8

If the concession owner gives you a discount, for just one person - Great

But you cannot blame them not requesting payment for the other bed ...

West Midlands
Level Contributor
87 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunbed prices

Not 'blaming' at all, asking if other people who travel solo have the same experience, this didn't happen when I was there in July!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
597 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunbed prices

Don't travel solo. However I do occasionally visit achladies beach on my own when my wife stays by the pool. Have always been charged €8 even when on my own.

Not ideal , but I can understand why they do it . Especially if the beach is busy . I suppose if it is quiet and plenty of beds free, then it would be a nice gesture to just charge you for the one .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
500 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunbed prices

They give up the second bed. If they put a stranger there, you wouldn't have to pay. Wouldn't you rather have the privacy?

And other beaches outside Greece charge 20-25+.

Edited: 19 September 2016, 19:11
Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
West Midlands
Level Contributor
87 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunbed prices

I can only conclude I've been fortunate in the past only being charged for 1 bed then 🙂

Sheffield
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunbed prices

We went to Megali Ammos Beach outside Thessalonkia Taverna and had 3 sunbeds and were charged 12 euros.

Mentioned in this post
Megali Ammos Beach
Megali Ammos Beach
116 Reviews
Skiathos, Greece
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunbed prices

Friends out at same time as us this year,they got charged 12 euro for 3 beds on Kanipitsa.

Makes sense for concession holders to do this,as it seems quite a few solo travellers now visiting island.

WREXHAM
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunbed prices

Unfortunately, perhaps what many visitors do not realise, is that all beach concession holders have to pay an enormous fee - tax to the Government for being able to use the beach to put sun loungers on. In such cases, one can understand the charge being 8 Euros even if only one in use.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,799 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunbed prices

... and after a shortened season, due to the late auctions, every Euro counts as the final weeks of the season dawn.

Shoreham-by-Sea...
Level Contributor
632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunbed prices

Ive never had this issue travelling to Greek islands when I was single. Most concessions price them individually, ie sunbeds 2€ each, umbrellas 2€ etc. And if the second bed was required, they could move it away to have their own privacy but then only have to pay the 2€. But thats obviously a problem if the beach has wall to wall sunbeds which I stayed clear of anyway.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos