We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage storage at the Turku ferry terminal?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
850 posts
919 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage storage at the Turku ferry terminal?

We're arriving in Turku on a Viking Line ferry from Stockholm and plan to spend seveal hours sightseeing before taking a bus to Helsinki. We need a place to store our luggage at the ferry terminal and, from the Viking website, I understand that there are luggage lockers there.

Does anyone know anything about them? We'll have airline carry-on sized suitcases and a couple of small backpacks. I assume this is the type of luggage that would fit in the lockers? And does anyone have any idea how much the luggage storage would cost? Thanks,.

8 replies to this topic
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage storage at the Turku ferry terminal?

A luggage locker that couldn't take such a modest amount would hardly be fit for purpose, so I wouldn't worry about that. The cost is insignificant, a few euros per 24 hours.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage storage at the Turku ferry terminal?

Are you taking the bus from the ferry port? If not, it'd be wiser to store your luggage in a more central location, e.g. the train station.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
850 posts
919 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage storage at the Turku ferry terminal?

Glad to hear that the luggage lockers are large. I've seen many references to luggage lockers in Scandinavia, but I've never needed to use them -- until this trip, where we are taking ferries and such.

The reason I want to store the luggage at the port is that I recall reading that the major attractions in Turku are there and not "downtown" (where we eventually have to get to for our omnibus to Helsinki that afternoon). Am I not correct about this? I haven't yet mapped out my day in Turku.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage storage at the Turku ferry terminal?

For me, Turku's main attractions are strung out along the river from the castle to the cathedral. At the port end, it's mostly the castle. As zam says, you'd be better off leaving your stuff at the train station unless you're boarding your bus at the ferry port.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
850 posts
919 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage storage at the Turku ferry terminal?

Thanks. So if we arrive at the ferry port and want to see the castle first, should we store our luggage there first and then move our luggage? Or go downtown (is there luggage storage there?) and then return to the castle?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage storage at the Turku ferry terminal?

If you don't want to go back to the port for your luggage, yes, you could leave it there while you visit the castle. There are lockers at the central train station, I don't know about other places.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage storage at the Turku ferry terminal?

At the railway station the luggage lockers cost €2/day for a 24 cm x 40 cm (9 x 15 inch) and €3e/day for a 45cm x 60 cm (17 x 23 inch) locker. There should be lockers also at the Turku bus station, or you should be able to store luggage at the bus ticket office (according to the Matkahuolto website https:/… ).

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
850 posts
919 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage storage at the Turku ferry terminal?

Thanks. I guess I'll need to carefully plan my touring schedule. I'd rather not store the luggage twice!

Reply to: Luggage storage at the Turku ferry terminal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turku