We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stockholm-Turku Ferry: Day? Night? Tallink? Viking Line?

Laguna Beach...
2 posts
Save Topic
Stockholm-Turku Ferry: Day? Night? Tallink? Viking Line?

Hello all,

I'm gonna be doing the crossing around September the 11th. I have a very limited itinerary as I need to be in Helsinki by the 13th to catch ferry to St. Petersburg. Trying to keep things affordable hence why I chose the inexpensive Turku route. I'll try to keep the questions here simple:

Stockholm or Helsinki? Which should I spend more time in, I'm only talking like a day or two difference but I'd be coming from Copenhagen (arriving Stockholm) most likely the morning of the 10th via overnight bus or train. Any must-see's I should know about? This would help me decide which city I should prioritize.

Daytime or nighttime ferry? If I do daytime crossing I'm killing virtually a whole day in either city. However, I am VERY interested to see the archipelagos of Sweden/Finland and I'm concerned I'll not see much of them if I take the overnight (sunset/sunrise is within half an hour of departure/arrival times this time of year). How is the twilight hours for viewing the area? I'm leaning towards the overnight ferry since I don't need to see 12 hours of it lol it would also mean saving on hotel and I'm wondering if being stuck for that long on a ferry with no cabin or anything to crash or put your stuff is a good trade-off? (at least from what I can tell, there is no cabin for daytime crossing) This is my most important inquiry I'd like advice toward.

Viking Line or Tallink? (I know Silja is owned by them but this would be specifically a Tallink vessel). I'm curious which is better in terms of service, quality, cabins, food, pricing, types of people aboard. I've read so much conflicting information from different years, I'm curious which would be better for me as a young mid-20's guy traveling solo? Prefer younger crowd like you'd meet in hostels or whatnot. I don't mind rowdy passengers or party-goers but I'd be traveling on like a monday anyway. Affordability is preferred.

Thank you all of you for your help! I really do appreciate it!

Turku Castle
Castles, History Museums
Turku Cathedral
Sacred & Religious Sites, Educational sites, Historic Sites
Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova
Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites, Art Museums, Speciality Museums
4 replies to this topic
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stockholm-Turku Ferry: Day? Night? Tallink? Viking Line?

I'd choose a night ferry. Better use of time. You'll see enough archipelago on departure and arrival. An island is an island is an island, you get the point.. A cruise may be a better deal than one way. No crowds on a weekday in Sept. Differences are not great between Silja and Viking. I find service better on Viking vessels and departure from Stockholm is from a better place.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,030 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stockholm-Turku Ferry: Day? Night? Tallink? Viking Line?

The night ferry saves on hotels, gives you more sightseeing time ashore and, as the bear says, you see plenty of islands anyway. Viking gives you a far better view of Stockholm city on departure.

Laguna Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stockholm-Turku Ferry: Day? Night? Tallink? Viking Line?

Awesome, thank you both for your quick replies. You have confirmed what I originally thought so at least now I can have some peace of mind when booking. I'll do the night ferry on viking. (only 30euro!) then a 4euro bus to Helsinki, sure as heck beats the 100+euro direct. Thanks again :)

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stockholm-Turku Ferry: Day? Night? Tallink? Viking Line?

+ you don't shop aboard / spend money on eating while sleeping.

Reply to: Stockholm-Turku Ferry: Day? Night? Tallink? Viking Line?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turku