We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

Hi,

We plan to travel from Turku - Stockholm & leave Stockholm - Helsinki after few days in late Aug. So, which ferry / cruise you will recommend ? Viking Line / Silja Line ? Are both ships depart from the same ferry terminal or i have to look for terminal of Viking Line & terminal of Silja line separately ?

Also, I noticed that Best Western Hotel is next to Viking Line terminal in Turku. Anyone stay there before ? Any hotel recommendation in turku / Stockholm ?

Thanks & Best,

Yuen

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,033 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

In Turku the terminals are in the same location, in Stockholm they are quite far apart, and in Helsinki they are on opposite sides of the same harbour. Traditionally Silja has slightly classier ships and Viking is usually cheaper, but the differences are small. The routes are very similar, but Viking gives you a much better view of Stockholm.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

I'd choose Viking; better location in Sthlm, better service on-board.

In Turku I'd rather stay somewhere more central.

Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

Thanks for your advise. Just would like to know if I stay in Central Turku, what is the cheaper way to go to Turku harbour with my huge lugguage ? Cost ?

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

Hi Yuen!

As John and Polarbear, I recommend Viking Line too. It's probably cheaper and Stockholm Viking terminal's location knocks out Silja's one.

From Central Turku, take bus number 1 from Kauppatori (about 2,50e) to harbour. Taxi would be about 15-20e I guess.

Have fun.

Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

If i I book return ticket with different route, would that cost more expensive ? what about the cabin ? is all window cabin with washroom ? I noticed there are a la carte as well as buffet. Which is better ?

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

I think Turku-Stockholm-Turku (Viking Line) -> Turku-Helsinki (bus) might be cheaper than Turku-Stockholm-Helsinki (Viking Line). But of course Stockholm-Helsinki (Viking Line) is much more comfortable than ship-bus combination. Check www.sales.vikingline.com/en/book-cruise/

If you pay more you'll get a cabin with window. Cheapest opinion -> no window. There is bathroom in all cabins. There are many restaurants in the ship. You'll see which seems to be the most interesting. You can eat something only with 5e and so on, but of course the buffet is nicer. Depends on your budget.

Have fun.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,033 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

You won't get much more than a chocolate bar for €5.

The buffet is overpriced and not the most pleasant dining experience, with people milling around, having to wait in line and so on. The à la carte option is far better value, in my opinion.

Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

Thanks Northern traveller83. I don't think I will opt for the ship-bus as we are travelling with huge luggage. John, thanks for your adv. I know my choice of meal on board now :) By the way, is it worth taking breakfast on boat for Stockholm-Helsinki route ? If yes, what would you recommend ?

Thanks

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,033 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

The breakfast buffet is much more reasonably priced than the dinner version.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

Tallink Silja had a particular option to book HEL-STO-TKU. Very heavily discounted, I got Promenade cabin (window to the inside deck) + A cabin (window to the sea) for 92€. I was also able to book VR train tickets from Turku to Helsinki for less than 20€ for one adult and three kids. So it's worth trying to find offers, sales, discounts..

The newest ship is Viking Grace, it's very stylish, on it's own league, but I haven't took other ships from Turku in years. I know Viking Amorella is pretty old, if it's anything like the Viking's Helsinki ships, it would feel a bit "budgety". Silja's Turku ships come from Tallinn traffic, I thought they were ok. Not as nice as Grace but still. In Helsinki traffic Serenade and Symphony are the nicest, they have the inside walking deck which makes it very cruise like experience. Viking ships have the traditional layout.

About the terminals you already got info. I prefer Silja terminals in Stockholm, they're very close to Gärdet metro station, I prefer that to walking to Slussen.

For the food. A la carte menus are online, check the prices and decide after that. The buffet includes beer and table (cheap) wine, meaning it's relatively cheap. Silja buffet is more expensive, but it's also better. Their buffet food list may give you an idea: http://www.digipaper.fi/siljaline/125674/

Edited: 08 May 2015, 15:52
Get answers to your questions about Turku