We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

Hi,

We plan to travel from Turku - Stockholm & leave Stockholm - Helsinki after few days in late Aug. So, which ferry / cruise you will recommend ? Viking Line / Silja Line ? Are both ships depart from the same ferry terminal or i have to look for terminal of Viking Line & terminal of Silja line separately ?

Also, I noticed that Best Western Hotel is next to Viking Line terminal in Turku. Anyone stay there before ? Any hotel recommendation in turku / Stockholm ?

Thanks & Best,

Yuen

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

Probably not, there is no real border control betveen Finland ans Sweden. Obviusly there are random checks and often dogs sniffing for drugs but due to Shengen and a deal betveen the Nordic countries the control is very little. Do take your passport as you will need to show one of asked.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,332 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

AFAIK there are no ristrictions for importing food articles between Finland and Sweden. So even in theory no one is interested what you haul on board. Only, very vague, restriction is that you are not allowed to consume on board the alcohol you purchase from the tax free shop. In practise no one really seems to care about this rule.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,089 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

The ferry operators have rules against bringing food for consumption aboard, though I've never seen this enforced. Apparently they got fed up with people using their café tables to eat their own food.

You can safely consume food in your cabin and a lot of people do this.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,332 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

Well, obviously you cannot enter a restaurant or a cafe to consume you own food/drinks, but I seriously doubt that they could prevent bringing food items on the ship. In your own cabin you may do pretty much whatever you want.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,089 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

It's not unknown, polarbearfin. It's amazing what people feel entitled to do when they're on a trip and had a couple of drinks.

36. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2017, 02:30
1 post
Save Reply
37. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

Hello everyone,

We will be traveling from Stockholm to Turku, spend one night in Turku then on to Helsinki. However, a roundtrip 23h cruise Stockholm-Turku-Stockholm is one third the price of a one way ticket! I've seen comments that people buy roundtrip and only go one-way. I just want to make sure this is successful since there is technically no on-shore time in Turku. Will the really let us exit the ship with all of our belongings upon arrival in Turku if we have purchased a round trip ticket?

Thanks for your advice,

E

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,089 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

I've never done it on the Turku route but many times Helsinki-Stockholm and Helsinki-Tallinn. You are not a prisoner on these ships.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

The only problem you might encounter is when you buy multiple cruises from the same company with the same name, then they realise you're "abusing the system".

With all the ferry companies, you get your boarding cards from the check-in desk, you walk through an automated gate with your card and into the ship, and when the ferry docks, you walk out without any control (except for the occasional customs checks in Finland..for booze). Regardless of your ticket type you are always allowed to exit the ship.

Two-way trips/cruises are discounted because people on a cruise usually spend money on board, those using one-way tickets are often on a work trip or with a car.

I've only ever encountered checks for booze, when entering the ship and when exiting the ship. It's completely ok to take your own snacks on board if you wish. The cabins are small and all general sitting areas on the ship are restaurants so by design it's a bit inconvenient to properly store/ heat/ eat your own food. I'd recommend the breakfast anyway, it's a good value for money.

40. Re: Which ferry is better ? Viking Line / Silja Line ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2017, 10:17